• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Looking for reefs in the Miami Area

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

xan021

Jan 15, 2005
Hello everybody,
I am looking for the coordinates of reefs in the Miami area. I just started diving in this area and only have coordinates for wrecks, I would like to see some reefs. Please help.
Thanks

Reactions: jimdoe2you
John Penekamp in Key Largo has some reefs some are quite shallow (like 20 feet) others are at around 40ft and I believe there are better one further out. But sorry no coordinates ... I just remember where they are my memory because Ive been there many times. The park should have more precise information of where they are located.

Any Dive shop or tackle store in Miami sells the waterproof charts showing reefs along with wreck GPS coordinates. Though most of the reef formations are off Key Largo and south there are patch reef off of Key Biscayne and south to Elliot Key from 20 to 70-80 feet of water.

To find reef just head straight out from Coconut Grove past Key Biscayne until the white sand turns a deep color. This is the reef lying about 5 miles out that borders the edge starting at 20 feet and gradually dropping to 70 to 80 feet. Its the best kept secret so please anchor over sand and treat with care.

For maximum visibility you will want a day with little wind proceeded with less than 10knot wind. Are you freediving or scuba? What depth do you feel comfortable diving?

There is also reef north off Hollywood beach and further up of West Palm.

Grab a book called Dive Guide to Underwater Florida. It has the coordinates to wrecks and reefs not only in Miami but all of Florida. If you are interseted i can tell you where to get it.

Austin's...

They got the best stuff, but damn do they charge you for it.

I'm going to be taking the performance freedive class in Miami on July 16th. Are there any of the springs near by to test my new skills after the class? :D

I'm not aware of any south of Orlando, but I'm new here so could be wrong... Why not a boat dive or shore dive after the fact to test those skills? I'm available on the weekends if you want a buddy...

Hi guys,
There is a good one in Okala called 40 Fathom Grotto. I have already communicated with the owner/operator about freediving there. They would supply a safety diver for a fee. I would like to organize a small group of freedivers and then contact him with a proposal. Let me know if anyone is interested.
Michael

Im interested, unless this thing is seriously deep i'm not sure i'd pay for a safety diver, surely we could set up some freediver safeties...

I'd be interested in that, especially if more than 30 meters is possible. Can you describe the potential dive?? Ditto to JMD, unless a safety diver is required.
Never heard of this spot.

Connor

Hey guys,
The 40 fathom grotto gets its name because it is 40 fathoms deep. That translates to 240 ft. It is fresh-water fed sink hole that maintains about 72 degrees F. The visibility is supposed to be incredible. Divers are not allowed to enter without a certified guide. Probably for liability reasons or just so they can make money. I'm not sure. This is why it might be necessary to pay one of their personnel a safety diver fee. Plus, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have. I don't think it will be much. The owner was receptive to my idea. When we rally enough people I will begin to make the plans. Meanwhile, let's keep in touch and formulate a plan and some goals.
Take care,

Hey Ajwaverider,
I live in Jax beach. Four blocks from the water. It is bitter irony that I live so close to the water and can't dive. I guess I could if i weren't interested in seeing anything and didn't mind bumping my head when I get to the bottom.
The best vis I found is 30-50 miles out (a long swim).
Anyway, keep in touch so we can make something happen.

I came across this tread and had to respond. there is some great beach diving just north of Miami and i can give you some details: The place is called Lauderdale By the sea and theres plenty to see there! Two weeks ago we were there and swam with a pod of spotted dolphins. Go north from miami to Lauderdale on I-95 get of at the commercial avenue exit go east to the beach. this will take you right there. When you get there youll see a pier swim straight out from the pier but stay 300 ft away so you dont catch a hook in the back. theres 4 reef lines there the first being only 50-75 yrds from the shore the last 1000 yrds off from shore the reef host thousands of tropicals and lobster are prevelant however the season is currently closed.
spearfishing is allowed but should be done with caution due to numerous divers and swimmers. The vis is almost always perfect and If you want weve got webcams of the area on our site. have a great time and enjoy this beautiful dive. p.s. Please pick up any sinkers you see they are everywhere and we recently removed 382.5 lbs in two dives.

I will be finishing my Freedive clinic class on Tuesday July19th and won't fly out until Wednesday night on the 20th. If anyone would like to do some diving on Wednesday morning until late afternoon, drop me a line. Flight isn't until 9:00 pm

I came across this tread and had to respond. there is some great beach diving just north of Miami and i can give you some details: The place is called Lauderdale By the sea and theres plenty to see there! Two weeks ago we were there and swam with a pod of spotted dolphins. Go north from miami to Lauderdale on I-95 get of at the commercial avenue exit go east to the beach. this will take you right there. When you get there youll see a pier swim straight out from the pier but stay 300 ft away so you dont catch a hook in the back. theres 4 reef lines there the first being only 50-75 yrds from the shore the last 1000 yrds off from shore the reef host thousands of tropicals and lobster are prevelant however the season is currently closed.
spearfishing is allowed but should be done with caution due to numerous divers and swimmers. The vis is almost always perfect and If you want weve got webcams of the area on our site. have a great time and enjoy this beautiful dive. p.s. Please pick up any sinkers you see they are everywhere and we recently removed 382.5 lbs in two dives.

anyone know if it's still legal to spear here. ?????

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT