• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

looking for spearfishing introduction

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

silentdiver

Dec 2, 2004
Hi, I am new to that forum and would like to greet you all.

I am a freediver and very interested in spearfishing. I am living in Austria and there are no possibilities for spearfishing because it is not permitted. Therefore I am looking for possibilities to learn spearfishing in an other country. I would be very happy, if somebody could help me.

Thanks

Gosh, it would be along way to travel, but one of the members, gotobaja, runs a professional spearfishing school in Baja California. Try his website or see the thread below, spearfishing 101.

Hey
An Italian guy came over here to the Channel Islands a few weeks back and contacted some of us to go out spearfishing.
Think he had a pretty good time - so what I would suggest is pick a place where there is some good freediving and book a holiday for a week or maybe more and then contact some locals - seems like most people are pretty ammeanable these days on DB.

Maybe pick a place where you might like to go anyway so if you dont like spearfishing you can still enjoy yourself.

I'm sure someone can lend you a speargun but I am assuming that you can freedive already and therefore have your own gear.

If you gave us an indication of your abilities / experience perhaps you might get a more specific answer.
For example how long have you been freediving for ? What kind of fish do you like to eat - or indeed are you after one kind of fish ? Do you want to stay in Europe or head somewhere more exotic ?

Not sure where spearfishing "mecca" is but it might be good to go somewhere with good clear warm water - reasonable size fish in abundance and cheap living - (when you find this place let me know :))
Cheers
Ed

I was on Holiday in Croatia in a city called Pula and had a bit of a quick dive there it was quite enjoyable but not a lot of fish where I went however there was a dive shop in Pula that made some nice spearguns. Sorry cant find the address but if you can contact them I am sure they will help he was a good guy and spoke reasonable English from memory water round there was reasonably clear and warm good place to learn but only a few fish where I was though I am sure some locals would find better spots there. It is a nice place for a holiday with colleseum etc for a bit of other interest as well.
Regards Peter

portinfer said:
?

Not sure where spearfishing "mecca" is but it might be good to go somewhere with good clear warm water - reasonable size fish in abundance and cheap living - (when you find this place let me know :))
Cheers
Ed
I found a place , all points except the last , but I am not divulging anymore till I investigate further

;)

Try Bali Indonesia
Look in IFSN (International Freediving & Spearfishing News) jan March 2005 for the story -looks good also reasonable price
website for IFSN is www.diving-action.com

Just back from an expedition all the way through baja by plane...

The Spearfishing 101 DVD will help you get to know the basics of the sport before you travel to any destination to actually try it. www.spearfishingguide.com

I have just opened another location for our expeditions in La Paz. We also offer expeditions to the Enchanted Islands in the northern part of the Sea of Cortez. The La Paz expedition is more expensive because of air fare but the water is generaly clearer for more days out of the year. I would go before summer when it gets 125 degrees and humid. The Enchanted Islands Expedition is cheaper and has a better chance of getting bigger grouper because it is so isolated but the chances of bad conditions(wind, tides, currents, vis) is greater. But that is why there is so many big fish there, because its so hard to get to. Our trips provide everything you need except your clothes. Spearguns included...

www.gonetobaja.com

I have been spending my past 6 days hunting snapper at several locations in the Sea of Cortez and finished in La Paz. That is going to be the context of the next DVD produced. Hunting techniques for snapper(although Im sure the producer will find a fancy name for it...) We got great footage of us underwater and alot of Baja by plane.

Where ever you go I know you will have a great time!! Spearfishing is the best sport around!!

GTB

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT