• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Loooking for Freedivers in the DC area (DMV)!

freediving_jeeper

Mar 22, 2016
I just moved to the DC area from FL recently and I can't find any good freediving groups in the area! :( Are there any freedivers up here? I need some dive buddies so that I can continue diving safely. I created this group for anyone that might be interested in getting together and organizing some dive trips. Down in Florida I have an amazing and very close knit community of divers, so I'm hoping to find/create the same thing up here! Anybody looking for the same thing up here?

Hey jeeper - there is already a freedive meetup in Annapolis - meetup.com "Maryland Freediving Meetup" - you are welcome to join us. We are planning quarry dives this summer.
There is not much of a freediving community in the DC area - dark murky waters here. Also, its hard to find a pool for practice because they mostly forbid breath holding.

Reactions: Rsd4130
Hey jeeper - there is already a freedive meetup in Annapolis - meetup.com "Maryland Freediving Meetup" - you are welcome to join us. We are planning quarry dives this summer.
There is not much of a freediving community in the DC area - dark murky waters here. Also, its hard to find a pool for practice because they mostly forbid breath holding.
Hi
I'm book marking this, I'm from MD but I'm in FL for a few months and I hope to keep training while back in MD.

That is awesome! Thanks for the reply. I don't know why I didn't get an alert that you replied to this, but this is great. I actually created a meetup group for the DC area, in case anyone is still interested in joining. So far I've gotten a bit of traction and have had about 25 people join the group! We started having weekly pool training sessions at my apartment. Please feel free to join the meetup! I'll also definitely join the Annapolis group so that I can go with y'all one those quarry dives and hopefully bring a few DC people along with me ;)

Hi, I am a passionate freediver . I am considering moving to Washington DC but I cannot see myself living in a place where I couldn't freedive several times a week. I can go in cold and dark waters as I freedive in lakes. Do you know if it is possible and realistic to dive in Washington DC without necessarily having to organize a long weekend far? I know someone on the thread said the waters are murky but is it still feasible? I dont go to swimming pools...

Freediving is not very good here. On a very rare occasion parts of the Cheasapeake Bay may clear up enough to see a few feet but it is generally too murky to see anything - it's also shallow and choppy and infested with recreational boaters. But I guess if you are determined you could dive there. A three hour drive to the east is the Atlantic - there are a few who freedive and spear there - out of Ocean City and Indian River. But again, the visibility will vary from several feet to zero. And finally there are quarries 3 or 4 hours away.

Thank you Mark very much it is very useful. I haven't been on the Atlantic side except in New York where water was so dark and so polluted compared to what I am used to that I gave up.

Hey Mark I'm in the DC area, just started freediving and looking for a community thats interested in training and diving. Looked for your group on meetup.com but couldn't find it... are you all still running?

Hey Mark I'm in the DC area, just started freediving and looking for a community thats interested in training and diving. Looked for your group on meetup.com but couldn't find it... are you all still running?
Hi Andrew, yes I still practice. I sent you a private message

I just moved to the DC area from FL recently and I can't find any good freediving groups in the area! :( Are there any freedivers up here? I need some dive buddies so that I can continue diving safely. I created this group for anyone that might be interested in getting together and organizing some dive trips. Down in Florida I have an amazing and very close knit community of divers, so I'm hoping to find/create the same thing up here! Anybody looking for the same thing up here?

Hi there, would you please let me know if you have any dive trips planned this summer? I'm looking for a freediving partner.

I'm in the DC area as well and would really love to connect. Please let me know if you guys do any meetups.

Hello there, I am new to freediving and would love to find a community. I am especially interested in dynamic apnea training. Possible to connect with the group?

Hey all, I'm looking to get into freediving and living in DC. I see that there's not many opportunities per the above replies. @J Campbell do you still have a group going?

Hi All, I did an Intro free diving course in curaçao and really enjoyed it. I live in the DMV area and I'm looking to get into freediving more. @J Campbell do you still have a group going in Annapolis or know of any local places to work with on technique and pool practice?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT