• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Loss of breath hold ability

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nov 1, 2014
If i, lets say, stopped training for freediving or doing any kind of freediving at all for 1 whole year, would i have lost all my previously gained breath hold ability, or only a little bit, or would it vary from individuals. Is it just mind over matter? or do you really loose your abilities as time passes? Surely you wouldn't loose all your skill, you would still know how to deal with contractions and what not? Any thoughts or knowledge?

My experience is that I keep most of my training, even after long breaks. All I have to do to get back up to speed is a couple pool sessions and CO2 tables - a couple of weeks later I'm good as ever. But my case may not apply in general, I'm not a top level diver, don't compete, just do it for recreation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorandril
It is going to vary a lot with the diver, his age, how well trained he was when he quit, how long he quit, what kind of diving he is doing, depth, FRC, pool, etc. I quit once for 5 years and the loss of ability was scary, thought I had just gotten old. It came back just fine, but it took a couple of years. Its not just mind over matter, although mind set is important. A very well trained diver has some physiological adaptations that disappear with time away from water, particularly if he is diving FRC. Too many variables to say much unless you have a very specific case in mind.

I stopped for a year once, i'd say it took 2 weeks of daily training to get back to where i was when i finished. For sure you will still have the skills such as duck dive line orientation etc. but dealing with contractions and building up relaxation will take the most time in my experience. So dont expect to pick up where you left off and take it slow would be my top tip.

Last night i tried my usual CO2 table - 2:30 starting with 60 sec breath after hold and descending by 7 each round, it was great i felt awsome, tryed the next day and it was awful, so confused - is this related to my state of relaxation or maybe even diet?

Last night i tried my usual CO2 table - 2:30 starting with 60 sec breath after hold and descending by 7 each round, it was great i felt awsome, tryed the next day and it was awful, so confused - is this related to my state of relaxation or maybe even diet?
I'd say its just psychological, just keep at it, if you keep running into trouble then reduce your tables and build up slowly.
try and figure out what it is that is making you want to breathe and work on that, for example if it's pressure in the throat, you could take a smaller breath or work on relaxing your chest and stomach.

In all freediving activities you will have good days and bad days - even when it seems nothing has changed. Just accept that you won't be spot-on all the time. I can tell when I'm having an off day and if it is bad enough I simply stop right there - try again another day.

On your bad day what did you eat before the CO2 table? Breath holding with food in your stomach will always be compromised - always plan your meals on the day of breath holding and don't eat anything at all for at least 3 hours before - don't eat heavy, greasy, or spicy foods at all. All digestion should have stopped and your stomach should be completely empty long before any breath holding.

On days I know I will be breath holding, diving or tables, I only eat a light breakfast, cereal and fruit - no greasy,oily, spicy, or heavy foods. For lunch a bowl of chicken soup and fruit. Nothing else for the remainder of the day ( I usually dive in the evening). The exception is that if I feel I need energy I will eat a ripe banana up to about 45 minutes before a dive - for me bananas digest immediately and do not cause any problem. I've learned that when I actually feel slightly hungry is when I have my best workouts.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT