• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lost gear - the ultimate tale of woe

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

harbour seal

Aug 23, 2006
i recently posted this on craig's list lost and found. i have no illusions of getting the stuff back but the act of writing eased the pain. a rather embarrassing episode of brain-loss follows so go easy

-----------

LOST - mask and snorkel at whytecliff park

last week, i was enjoying a beautiful session of freediving off the point at whytecliff and somehow during this dive, i managed to lose my mask and snorkel. "how is this possible?" you might ask, as it is akin to a skier mysteriously losing both poles mid-run. well, all i can say in my defense is that it takes talent, true talent.

it all began when my 2lb anchor, which keeps my float/flag from drifting, started operating above normal parameters. you see, the problem was that this wee, overzealous anchor had become stuck, like excalibur in the stone stuck, and unfortunately my name is not arthur. i dove down a few times but couldn't budge it as it appeared to be firmly lodged under some buried wood in 20m of water.

wrestling with it awhile at the surface, i discovered the physics of buoyancy was conspiring against me. the harder i tugged from the surface the deeper i sank, even if i kicked madly while laying across my float. the anchor was going nowhere fast and had now become the odds-on favourite to win this tug-o-war.

panting from the exertion at the surface, i contemplated cutting the line as i glumly eyed my knife. it was simply too deep for me to do much thrashing around on the bottom, while holding my breath, and still surface safely. serendipitously, in a column of bubbles rising from the murky depths, two friendly neighborhood scuba divers emerged to save the day. once briefed on the situation, the pair managed to free the anchor without much trouble; however, they reassured me that a good-sized log had caused the problem. what sweet karma, i thought. yes, i loved karma at this moment.

bubble-blowers gone and trusty ('er troublesome) anchor in hand i turned and made for shore. towing my float, i contemplated my good fortune as i dolphin kicked along the surface. this was about the moment i realized i had no mask, which was weird. something like walking out of the change room and onto a crowded pool deck, towel in hand, and realizing you forgot your suit. generally, one hopes to avoid such simple mistakes; however, it only takes a moment of absentmindedness.

where did the mask go, i thought while repeatedly pawing at my head in disbelief? like a dying ninja, concealed by the commotion, my mask had slipped unnoticed off my forehead and sank away. rendered unable to see underwater, there was no chance to search for, or retrieve the mask. unfortunately, no scubies and their telltale bubble trails were to be seen. how non-triumphant, how very non-triumphant indeed, i thought to myself.

mask-less i arrived back at the beach feeling despondent and stupidly naked. as i floated in the shallows i clutched my ten-dollar anchor defensively, like a favoured teddy bear, smarting at the thought of the hundred plus dollars needed to replace the lost gear.

auspiciously, the resident harbour seal decided to pop up for a quick visit and distracted me from my moping. she drifted languidly before me, like a wistful single cloud musing across a sunny sky, floating just beyond arms reach for what seemed like an eternity. off to attend to more pressing matters, she finally turned and sank silently below, her nose and whiskers last to follow.

taking a good look around and a few deep breaths i was struck anew by the beauty of the place. the air filled my lungs and was sweet and salty. the visit with the seal had refreshed my perspective and i felt a sense of relief mixed with just a touch of joy. i hope that someone finds my stuff and makes good use of it (yes, i still love karma).

RIP: my cherished low volume black omer alien mask and black omer zoom snorkel (with partially bitten off left bite tab).

happy day to you all---i need to go to place an order.

sean

Last edited:
First the barnacles and now this, you seem to be down on your luck lately mate. Dont worry though the wheel turns or so they say :)

Ouch! When I did my scuba training my instructor told me to pull my mask down under my chin, not up on the forehead if I needed to take it off. Otherwise...

Very nicely written by the way.

I feel sad for your loss. I'm certain the Alien served you well and it truly is a really good mask.

Anyway, cheer up - you'll get new and better gear! :D

Bummer...I lost my stringer yesterday...It seems I just about always lose SOMETHING when I go freediving....A knife or a stringer, or a watch, or my "skull cap" bandana...Then I end up with a sunburned head!:t But Sander is right: A CHANCE TO GET EVEN BETTER GEAR!!!

Nicely written. My dive buddy lost his alien with day-glo green impulse III attached - early last april at about 20 meters. Realizing he'd lost it he wisely swam 50 meters or so over to where I was - in order to point out the spot ...in open water...without having triangulated from any land referents...
With the compassion that comes from not having done anything that stupid in awhile I softly told him 'what the F(&^@ is that matter with you, you moronic little b(*&h? Your supposted to F##$%^ triangulate; dips*&t. Get away from me, I feel stupid just breathing next to you.' He's a strange guy - humiliation helps him relax - and having other people blame him keeps him from blaming himself - which is much worse.. I gave him my omer olympia.

you'd be surprised how much gear gets lost, the other day I was diving in the american river (northern california) and found three different mask/snorkel sets, last month found one and goggles diving at lake tahoe, so apparently lots of people loose thier sh*t. I had a similar story I think I posted somewhere else maybe, anyway I was out one day and the vis was especially bad like three feet, so I quit early, put my mono on the kayak, got on the kayak, as I was about to leave, I turned around and my mono was gone, I was so freaked out and my heart was racing so fast there was no chance of attempting a no-fins in after it. Came back the next day with a pair a bodyboard fins and after about an hour of dives somehow found my mono, it was one of my happiest dives ever

hey guys,

i very much appreciate everyone who took the time to read my tale of folly.:inlove

deepthinker
- my latest antics have been good (but expensive) lessons on the mysterious art of avoiding barnacle attacks while NOT losing any of my precious gear.

adrian
- thanks for the tip about placing the mask around the chin. sure wish i had known this sooner :waterwork. furthermore, a scubie friend told me that a mask placed on the forehead is a recognized signal of distress? i expect the "distress" is due to the soon to be lost mask.
- also many thanks for the kind words about the writing. it is not something that comes easily but act seemed to ease the requisite sting accompanying a bout of generalized brainfreeze.

atomichaggis
;) adventure is my middle name baby!!! my latest folly involved a hasty retreat from my arch nemesis a giant stinging jellyfish.

sanderp
- i sometimes wonder where my beloved mask is now? generally, i imagine it nestled in some wide green kelp fronds, perhaps offering shelter to resident sculpin or crab. my mask indeed served me very well, which is why i am happy to announce that i am the proud owner of a shiny new alien.

bgill
- how i LOVE getting new gear; however, my empty bank account attests to the need to hold onto my stuff in the water, at least for a couple months. if there is another incident (god forbid), i have decided to lose the $10 item rather than any of the pricier stuff. do you have any advice on how to go about FINDING gear during a dive? sounds like you are quite talented in this regard.

fonduset
- i surely could have used some of your old fashioned michigan tough love. although, i just might have started blubbering about the mask, or even the seal for that matter. had you put an omer olympia in my hands at that moment, i would have been compelled to name my first born after you.

monkeyhatfork
- i have previously heard of people losing gear but was doubtful it was actually possible to lose one's mask DURING a dive. it seemed ludicrous to me but now i am living proof of the vagaries of diving.
- wow, i am amazed you found your mono, notwithstanding the time delay, particularly given the poor visibility. talk about kismet. after the requisite tears of joy i hope you proceeded to the nearest lotto outlet.
- my second diving day of the long-weekend i was geared up, in the water and ready-to-go when i realized i was missing the requisite snap-shackles for my custom weight harness. after completely removing all my gear in utter dismay, my girlfriend turned around and found it half buried in the sand. evidently i had left it on the beach the preceding day. in a particularly fortuitous moment, my girlfriend managed to save the day, along with my weekend of diving.

cheer to you all,
sean :D

Last edited:
Hey Harbour Seal - Your narrative is really well written - have to say that again. I enjoyed reading it.
I pretty much always bring two of anything that might break or get lost. Snorkels masks etc. My backup mask is usually a sphera. They cost $30us at leisurepro. The sphera is a little small for my nose - but is a really cool mask with phenomenal peripheral vision and tiny volume. On calm days I've gotten by without a snork - breathing up on my back. I'm only about 10 minutes from my most frequent dive sites but its still a drag to have to regroup and run home to get something i lost or forgot. With something I like as much as freediving redundancy is the rule.

harbour seal,

If you need replacement gear, I will set you up at a discount for two reasons. First, because you are a member of deeperblue, and second because I have a soft spot for people who loose gear to Davey Jones. Your replacement gear will come with a hand written note that states, "Never wear your mask on your forehead!"

Thanks,
Jim

:)

Reactions: Mr. X
I feel for you that truly sucks, but very good story I enojyed the narrative. If you need a mask to borrow while your replacement gets here I have a extra Cressi Minima you could use. Good visibility in these parts right now and wouldn't want you to have to miss out.

Reactions: harbour seal
give me the gps coordinates of your location you were at I need another mask :D

thanks for reading and the kind words everyone. the thoughfulness and generosity of the deeperblue community continues to amaze me.

harbour seal,

If you need replacement gear, I will set you up at a discount for two reasons. First, because you are a member of deeperblue, and second because I have a soft spot for people who loose gear to Davey Jones. Your replacement gear will come with a hand written note that states, "Never wear your mask on your forehead!"

Thanks,
Jim

:)

wow! :inlove
what a truly excellent offer. i have been salivating all over your online store since you started adding more equipment. looks like you have some great gear. what burns me up is that i don't have any dough at the moment :head. damn, how i love to buy new gear.

thanks again for your considerate offer.

I feel for you that truly sucks, but very good story I enojyed the narrative. If you need a mask to borrow while your replacement gets here I have a extra Cressi Minima you could use. Good visibility in these parts right now and wouldn't want you to have to miss out.

nikkey,
glad to hear you are getting some nice dives.
i am touched by your generous offer regarding the loaner mask:inlove. unfortunately, i have been sick for the past two weeks with a chest cold so i was side-lined anyway:(. i am hoping to get back in the water in another week or so (one the chest totally clears up).

as far as my mask goes, a friend heard my woeful tale and piched-in to help buy a replacement.

sean
vancouver, canada

(sorry for the multiple posts) oh what the hell----have at it:

whytecliff park - west vancouver
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Whytecliff Park of Vancouver, BC, Canada

MASK/SNORKEL MAP COORDINATES: 49°22.3010'N 123°17.5510'W

click the link to see satellite map with a precise location of mask (this is the last place i saw it):

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=49%C2%B022.3010%27N+123%C2%B017.5510%27W&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&ll=49.371249,-123.291889&spn=0.002644,0.005794&z=18"]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=49%C2%B022.3010'N+123%C2%B017.5510'W&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&ll=49.371249,-123.291889&spn=0.002644,0.005794&z=18[/ame]

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT