• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Low Volume Masks - How Much of a Difference?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ElectroPulse

Jan 2, 2014
Hello, all!

For the past year I've been freediving with a regular high-volume SCUBA mask.

I've noticed that sometimes down around 50 or 60 feet, I feel like I am having a hard time equalizing my ears... I feel like my lungs are empty.

I'm wondering, could this be because my lungs actually are close to empty, due to a high-volume mask? Or is it simply because my lungs are compressed enough that it's my body telling me my lungs are empty? Either way, how much of an improvement do you see with a low-volume mask?

Thanks!
ElectroPulse

It depends on just how big the mask is, of course. To help put things in perspective…. The difference between a good spearfishing mask and no mask is about 10%. I highly recommend getting a good mask but you are more limited by technique than equipment.

The difference is definitely noticable.

You can even notice a difference between using a Micromask and smaller volume Sphera in how often you need to equalize the mask.

But for depth, I doubt is is going to make a huge difference in the depth at which you reach RV - maybe 1-3m depending on how big the volume difference is (disclaimer: I did not actually do any math here)?

I often wear a fairly large volume mask for shallow diving. Around 50 ft, the amount of air it takes to equalize the mask becomes very noticeable. You need a low volume mask for anything other than very shallow. I've never tested it, but am quite sure that a large volume mask will make a large difference in the depth you reach RV and your maximum equalization depth.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Hmm... So what are some ways to increase the RV to be able to go deeper, other than just a mask? How on earth are some guys able to go 100+ meters, and I can't go much more than 20m?

Also, is there any possible way to figure out whether a mask will fit without actually trying it on first? I'm in Palau, so shipping things in takes a while, and wouldn't be that cost-effective to ship them back if they don't fit. I remember in the dive shop when I was looking for a mask, I tried like 5 masks, and all of them passed the "suck in through your nose, and see if it stays on" test, so it seems like most masks fit me well.

Terminology is backwards. You can dive deeper with a smaller RV relative to your full lung volume.

Fastest way to deal with going deeper is learn to mouthful, if you are one of the lucky ones who learn it quickly. You can also considerably decrease your RV by increasing flexibility of the chest wall(diaphragm and intercostal muscles) Stretching does that, frequent diving to near RV does that. Both take time and consistency. Learning better technique generally, especially relaxation, allows greater compression of the chest wall, effectively reducing RV.

Connor

Also, is there any possible way to figure out whether a mask will fit without actually trying it on first? I'm in Palau, so shipping things in takes a while, and wouldn't be that cost-effective to ship them back if they don't fit. I remember in the dive shop when I was looking for a mask, I tried like 5 masks, and all of them passed the "suck in through your nose, and see if it stays on" test, so it seems like most masks fit me well.
No, not really but your dive shop experiment suggests that you have fairly normal fitting needs. Read reviews, if they say anything like "fits narrow face" or "fits smaller face" that's usually a good indication of a mask that - while it might fit & work ok - will likely look and feel a bit small if you have a large face but which will likely work well if you have a smaller/thinner face.

Did you not find a mask you liked in the dive shop? Years ago I tried on some Cressi masks in a dive shop (for spearfishing). Unsurprisingly, the Big Eyes SCUBA mask felt big (but fit well and felt nice on), the Matrix seemed very nice and well "balanced" (and fit well) and the Lince felt & looked rather small (but fit well enough to seal & use). Before trying them I was inclined towards the Lince/Lince 2 (lowest volume, "fits small/narrow faces" ;)) but after trying them, the Matrix would have been by far the obvious choice (although I ended up buying a cheaper camo Omer Alien mask on-line later :D). I now use a Seacsub Combat-X mask. Both good masks but neither of them perfect by any means. The Cressi Matrix mask would have been a good choice - it fits most people well and has quite a low volume; I might yet buy one, one day (although the Technisub Aqualung Micro-mask looked interesting to me while cruising the web last night, but rather expensive).

Last edited:
I just went from a problue medium volume mask to a mini mask from Mako Spearguns, wish I'd started off with the mini, huge difference, the problue used to build up enough pressure to force air through my sinuses and into the back of my throat by the time I was 5' down, no such problems with the mini down to 30'

Stay Safe

minno

In short what you really want in a mask - for fit and for depth - is flexibility. Combined with a fairly low volume it makes it possible to go deep without equalization after a certain point (if you know how to do it). Fx from 20m to 80m, or from 30m to 110m (approximately with a Sphera).

The Aqualung Sphera mask seem to fit most people. It´s very flexible, very low volume and the number one choice for most competitive freedivers I think.

Apart from the relative ease in equalizing a small mask, it also gives you more time to focus on the ear equalization, so they won´t be tired and irritated.

Do a freediving course when possible, and many of you questions wil be answered. Remember to have a trained buddy with you when diving.

Th sphera is great for all but very narrow faces. It has plastic lenses which scratch over time and isn't as clear as a glass mask tho.

A micromask (or the mako version mentioned above) will for narrow and normal faces and is an excellent glass lensed option.

Sporasub Mystic and Tusa Panthes are also great narrow / medium faced options.

I have modified a micromask for a perfect fit as detailed on my blog and it actually relies on the mask NOT being soft / flexible to yield amazing results.

I don't use it for recreational / fun diving tho. I prefer more peripheral vision and to move my neck less to look around.

I have modified a micromask for a perfect fit as detailed on my blog and it actually relies on the mask NOT being soft / flexible to yield amazing results.

I have great respect for the project and result, however it is not the case that it relies on NOT being soft / flexible - rather I would say that it is the case that it works DESPITE not being very flexible (when filled with your cheeks), because of very low volume and a flexible face. In itself it is a flexibe mask according to your blog though.

It's interesting though and the future might be "Face-formed" masks for deep diving...

Nice blog by the way.

Mako Spearguns only ship their Mako Minimus mask to the USA & Canada. Are similar masks vailable in the UK? ApneaAddict's blog mentions there are other micromask with v. similar design, inc. the IST M-99 mask - although I can't find a UK reseller for that either. Alternatively, does anyone know of a good place (e.g. reasonably priced & decent service) to purchase the Technisub Aqualung Micro-mask? [Interesting comparison of these masks: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=171510 - like the look of the buckles on both masks, loose buckles can be annoying.]

BTW Does the Sporasub Mystic really have a comparable field of view? I would have expected much less from its appearance (e.g. relatively small area of glass, "enclosed" appearance, heavy-looking frame)?
breeze-+-mystic-208x300.jpg
aqualung-technisub-micromask.jpg

http://www.pescasublog.it/varie/concorso-natale-2011-pesca-sub-blog/attachment/breeze-mystic/
http://www.freedivestore.com/spearfishing-freediving-mask/257-aqualung-technisub-micromask.html
mystic_04.jpg

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Ok, so sounds like they can make quite a bit of a difference. Definitely liking the suggestions of masks as well.

@Mr. X: That's what it says on MakoSpearguns' site, but I contacted them directly and they gave me an estimated shipping cost for shipping some weights, a belt, and some fins here. I'm looking to make an order from them in the next few days if it works out, so will consider throwing in a low-volume mask if my finances can support it in addition to the rest (for now, getting down to the 60 feet and staying there for a little while is a little higher priority than going deeper, as once I get there I have to pop straight back up currently).

When people say that the plastic lenses scratch easily... How easily do they scratch? Due to the difficulty in getting items here in any timely manner, as well as the fact I'm living on my earnings from this summer + a stipend, I'd prefer to buy once than multiple times.

The Sphera scratches very easy. For line diving, where you can take care of it, its great. For spearfishing, where stuff gets beat up pretty easy, you would be replacing it regularly. That said, a guy just spent two weeks of hard diving on my boat and his sphera survived. So, its possible to keep it nice, just hard.

@Mr. X: That's what it says on MakoSpearguns' site, but I contacted them directly and they gave me an estimated shipping cost for shipping some weights, a belt, and some fins here. I'm looking to make an order from them in the next few days if it works out,....
Oh, I should warn you - when buying outside the EU- you will likely get clobbered for significant additional costs. There used to be a "hassle-free value" of £18 ("or there abouts" in practice), when buying from abroad. Recently, rather than increasing this limit - which is long overdue - Chancellor George Osbourne actually dropped it - to £15 :( And it is now strictly enforced.

HM customs will add VAT (20%) to the order total including shipping, plus the newly privatised Royal Mail will add a fixed £8 handling charge for collecting their ill-gotten gains. There might also be an additional excise duty on some items (less likely in this case - but possible).

I bought a simple tool from the US which cost about $20 including shipping and got really hammered - only to find the tool delivered much later than expected and damaged when opened! (It is quite likely that the Customs/Royal Mail damaged it when they opened/processed it - which apparently they do rather often these days).

I often buy from abroad but am much more wary about buying from the USA these days because of the harsh import taxes (& shoddy service) at our end - which is great shame considering the philosophical closeness of our nations.

Last edited:
If you're in the EU, I'd definitely get the Spetton Minimax.

It's a micromask clone but SUPPOSEDLY softer silicone and may compress more.

I can't cost-effectively get one here. Only EU and down under.

Reactions: UWRPlayer and Mr. X
Hi!
We are trying to gear up our underwater rugby team. As for fins we are very happy with Najades and Murénas, but for masks we are looking for Technisub replicas with competitive prices if we buy in bulk. What I've found so far : Mako and IST. Could anyone give us hints if these brands are manufacturers or merchants, what the minimum order is, and if there is any other solution for durable low volume masks in the EU? Any help is apprectiated! Thanks!

Mako is a great bet. Call them up and see if they will cut you a discount for a mass order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: UWRPlayer
Mako is on here regularly so easily contactable if you wanted the personal touch for bulk orders etc and he seems very keen on expanding the business internationally. He also regularly contributes knowledge to the forum, so big thumbs up for that (y)

Hi!
We are trying to gear up our underwater rugby team. As for fins we are very happy with Najades and Murénas, but for masks we are looking for Technisub replicas with competitive prices if we buy in bulk. What I've found so far : Mako and IST. Could anyone give us hints if these brands are manufacturers or merchants, what the minimum order is, and if there is any other solution for durable low volume masks in the EU? Any help is apprectiated! Thanks!

This one is great and they give a bit of a volume discount:
https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/spetton-minimaxx/70340/p

Add this code AD005 for 5% off as well.

Reactions: UWRPlayer
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT