• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lowering heart rate

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Adder

Mar 21, 2016
I have been trying to train myself for longer static holds and have noticed that even in water the most I can do is drop my heart rate from 65 to 60bpm. I wondered if anyone had any advice on breath ups (without risk of hyperventilating) that could maybe allow me to lower it to say 50bpm? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dive reflex varies from person to person. My heart rate usually doesn't slow that much in the pool. Really cold water helps. Also try doing negatives to get into dive mode.

Reactions: jpp and Adder
WikiHow so take it with a grain of salt :D

Empty your bladder regularly. People who hold their urine until their bladder is really full will increase their heart rates by as much as 9 bpm. A really full bladder increases sympathetic nervous system activity, which constricts blood vessels and forces your heart to beat faster.

So if you're diving with buddies... wear a wetsuit and try to keep the smile off your face!
http://www.wikihow.com/Slow-Your-Heart-Rate-Down

Not sure if this is specific to my body but..

My heart rate tends to pick up when I breathe in and slow down when I breath out. By being mindful how hard I am breathing in and how smoothly I breathe out; I am able to steady my rate or slow it down.

Also coffee will increase your heart rate as will eating certain foods. Heart rate control is something that is mastered with practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrBinns
If 60 bpm is your normal resting then being there at the conclusion of your breathe up is fine. Don't expect to get below normal resting during breathe up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Heart rate will go up when the lungs are filled because it cannot pump around at the same volume as when the lungs are empty. Less volume means more bpm, and less volume per stroke. The total work required is the same. Heart rate is only half of the story.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT