• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lung contractions?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Gee117

Mar 3, 2014
I've been training for a few weeks, I hash enough seen and read some things on the Web and I hear people saying they get lung contractions. I've never had them when training I can do about 2.15secs hold all I feel is a strong need to breath the and then feeling dizzy or that's bludgeoned rushing to my brain I'm not sure

Is there anything I'm doing wrong, I don't do any hyperventilation

Thanks

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Contractions and other feelings associated with rising co2 and later low o2 are different for each individual.

Google, and then try a one breath co2 table. If you can do 12+ cycles then increase the hold time, its the best way i have found to ease into high co2 and eventually you may get some contractions.

Reactions: Tim B. and Gee117
In addition to what Jethro said:
Keep in mind that apparently there are people who don't experience contractions the way most people do. Although I totally can't believe that, having seizure like fits myself at times. ;-)

The feeling you are looking for can be reproduced though. Hold your breath and close your airways. Then try to breath in without actually letting any air in of course. Try from the belly and chest separately.
This compressing motion your chest and belly do, is what contractions feel like.

Maybe that helps you to be able to discern light contractions sooner since you know what to feel for.

If you still don't feel any, another method could be (after warm up and being comfortable in the water) staying at -10 m at the rope and wait for the first contraction.
I usually do that to initiate the MDR.
As always: have a buddy spot you and ease your way there. No need to rush!

Reactions: Gee117
In addition to what Jethro said:
Keep in mind that apparently there are people who don't experience contractions the way most people do. Although I totally can't believe that, having seizure like fits myself at times. ;-)

The feeling you are looking for can be reproduced though. Hold your breath and close your airways. Then try to breath in without actually letting any air in of course. Try from the belly and chest separately.
This compressing motion your chest and belly do, is what contractions feel like.

Maybe that helps you to be able to discern light contractions sooner since you know what to feel for.

If you still don't feel any, another method could be (after warm up and being comfortable in the water) staying at -10 m at the rope and wait for the first contraction.
I usually do that to initiate the MDR.
As always: have a buddy spot you and ease your way there. No need to rush!

Thanks for replying! I will give that a try next time I get out, I may not be pushing myself to where I get them

Thanks [emoji5]

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT