• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

lung volume

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gdiver2004

Feb 13, 2004
had to take med. test rec, (job related) measured lung volume, nurse said i was able to get 5.07 liters of air in lungs,most people get only 3.5. is this true? if so could this explain why i can hold my breathe longer than normal(in respect to other people). would love some help on explaining this

hi

Mate was the 5.07 the FVC or VC reading if you read my thread under Spirometry test you can see their is apparently a massive difference.

The reason why you can hold your breath longer than normal can be a number of reasons, if your relatively new the ability to relax in number 1 reason to your advantage, then learning your own breathup and warm up techniques is a big advantage as well. I think the average lung capacity for humans is around 4.5L not sure if that is FVC or VC but your lungs may give you a small advantage over other "normal" people.

cheers

In our club we have this 'toy', a 3 feet long plastic tube from an old aquarium, which we often play with when all that swimming becomes too much. There are liter measures on the thing and we fill it with water and go underneath it in the water with full breath (no packing) and empty as much of our lungs as possible.

From this thing, we can see a slow increase in lung volume as we train longer. Newcomers quickly rise in volume. My self I'm pretty steady on 5,3 liters, but others are much higher. Our club record is f.i. Lars Mou Andersen who blew almost 8 liters into the thing one night. I have also seen Bill Stromberg (Sweden) blow 10 liters (!) into a little hand-held machine (a spirometer?), and Hubert Maier (Germany) they say is up at 12 liters.

I believe the lung volume rises naturally from training, both fitness training (running, cycling, swimming) but also breathhold training (lung packing, etc.). Also the taller you are, the higher your volume is (Lars Mou is 6'4").

Of course lung volume is only one detail in being a good breathholder. There's also your fitness level, your techinique in the current discipline, fysiological adaptations (muscle types, etc.) and of course the 'trance' factor. The big lungs in freediving are like the height in basketball; it helps, but it's not a requirement.

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

--------------------
"Be like water, my friend." - Bruce Lee

Just tried a spirometer today, got 5,5liters.

Whats the difference between FCV and VC??

You can't emty your lungs totally...how much is still left there after I blow in the spirometer? Is there a % ratio or something?

Cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT