• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mae govannen!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

modelnut

Sep 29, 2005
:wave Hello there!

I am a frustrated landlubber. I have been and remain fascinated by all things having to do with the ocean but live nowhere near any.
I have seen it once when I visited Jekyll Island off the Georgia coast (US Southeastern coastline.)

I blame it on watching too much Jacques Cousteau as a child. :duh

As you might guess from my nom de guerre, I am very much into model building --- scratchbuilding and sculpting to be more precise. My three finished sculpts are all sea creatures either prehistoric or fictional:
Basilosaurus
Grand Baleensquid
Giant Mantasquid
The basilosaurus model is now being offered by me as a kit.
You won't find a better one --- I looked long and hard before building it in the first place.

Of all forms of exercise, I enjoy swimming the most. Now that I am starting the fast slide through middle age I plan on doing more and more swimming. The only alternative is to join the mall-walkers and I am just not ready for that.

That's how I stumbled upon your Forum. I decided that a monofin would be great for exercising the abs and legs. I came upon this thread while searching for customer reviews on various monofins: Buying first monofin
You all were very helpful! I should be receiving my first monofin in the mail in about a week.

It may still be a while before I get into the ocean. But you people are giving me more and more inspiration. :p

-Leelan

Hi Welcome to Deeper Blue :)
Love the models Thunderbird 2 brought back some memories :) Im sure some monofinning will slow that dreadfull slide though middle age no worries ;) If it works let me know and I'll buy one too :D

Had me confused on that Thunderbirds 2 reference. Then I looked down the list of the other Albums and there it was.
I only have one album on that site. The Thunderbirds aren't mine.

I chose a monofin because it was different. And it should provide a good workout for me as well as a lot of fun!

As for pooh-poohing middle age, have you never listened to Tom Lehrer ?

"Oh, soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife.
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life."

That image got a huge gasp from his audience in the fifties!

If you have never experienced Tom Lehrer you are living a much too sheltered life. Give him a listen! He is one of the only Harvard professors I know of who was fired because he also performed at night clubs. His humor is sharp and biting!

-Leelan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT