• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Magnetic line release and trigger mods

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FrostyToes

Sep 28, 2021
Good day!

Looking at hacking into my Saetta Pro already after only a couple target shots.
The gun itself is really well built and shoots like a laser whilst being easy to reload, and apart from the pump (had to hack into it to get the seal to work properly) seems like it will handle some abuse.
Now the problem lies with my winter glove trigger finger not fitting between the guard and trigger. In addition, due to left handedness, there is an annoying tendency for the safety to be rearmed whenever i insert my 7mm thick gloved pointer (although I may have lubed up everything maybe TOO well with silicone grease).
The way I see it I have four options:
  • Use a thinner glove on my gunslinging side. Frigid water in winter makes this a tough option.
  • Shave the trigger back a tad, or 3d print a new skinnier one.
  • Cut and extend the trigger guard itself and elongate the line release arm OR make a magnetic line release to screw on the rear pump flange
  • Sell this gun whilst it's still mint - buy Cyrano 1.3 and slap a vacuum muzzle on it. Pricey one but they seem to have great spares availability.
If I keep this thing there is a certainty that I'll design a new magnetic side line release anyways, encapsulated magnets so as to nullify corrosion issues. Current line release functions well but sideways is sexier right?

Any tips to be had? Will go out fishing today and see if I can adapt but right now our future together looks bleak.

• Sad
Reactions: Zahar
You would be better to buy a “Predathor” than modify the “Saetta Pro” and maybe keep the latter for summer use. The Cressi has not been designed for hands wearing very thick gloves, in fact most of the pneumatic guns on the market have not. Don't bother with magnetic line releases as they are just a better than nothing option. The “Predathor” has one of the longest and deepest trigger finger guard frames available.

Thanks for that. Modified my shooting glove to suit the Saetta and I'm rather chuffed with it. Bagged a couple beautiful fish with perfectly placed shots in the meantime and will attempt to add another wrap (currently 3 wraps) to see if it will be adequately ranged enough to tide me through the winter now that the water is clearing up. Seems as though I can swap the safety switch for a custom printed part once I tear open this thing...
Total pneumatic gun convert for sure, got my eye on the 2022 range of Predathor Vuoto guns, most likely the 115cm if Cressi doesn't release something new soon. ONLY major grievance with the Predathor is the safety seems to be even worse placed than the Saetta.

You should only apply the safety when doing your line wraps, otherwise keep it switched off, that way you know when you do pull the trigger the gun shoots. Only when swimming in a transition zone and with no intention of shooting anything and holding the gun at mid-tank do I apply the gun's safety. A good thing to remember is as a trigger blocker the safety does not impede the gun from shooting if something fails or slips internally, which is extremely unlikely, but always treat your gun as if it could go off at any time and point it accordingly. Shanks pulling out of plastic pistons will have your cocked gun shooting, this should never happen, but you know that old saying!

Reactions: FrostyToes
For sure one should never bet on a safety. I always load the shooting line first so decided to disable the safety with a blob of glue until I can modify it further. Fantastic little gun this, really helping me to learn good "agguato" crawling technique faster than expected. All of a sudden I get fish within half an hour on short trips! Unfortunately had to cut last trip short due to Cressi configuring the shooting line bungee end without a quick release knot, shaft got lodged tight in this poor fellows skull during extraction. Lesson learned.

Attachments

• IMG_20211112_162144.jpg
    IMG_20211112_162144.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 218
For sure one should never bet on a safety. I always load the shooting line first so decided to disable the safety with a blob of glue until I can modify it further. Fantastic little gun this, really helping me to learn good "agguato" crawling technique faster than expected. All of a sudden I get fish within half an hour on short trips! Unfortunately had to cut last trip short due to Cressi configuring the shooting line bungee end without a quick release knot, shaft got lodged tight in this poor fellows skull during extraction. Lesson learned.
Great shot! An interesting feature on the Russian "Taimen" gun is they have a sprung-loaded clip or carabiner built into the muzzle. You can unclip your shooting line and detach your gun from it. The idea is you can switch to another shooting line and spear assembly, especially if you have driven your spear into a log while diving in a lake and spear extraction is going to be difficult, electing to retrieve the spear and line later. Western manufacturers are always looking for new features to incorporate in their pneumatic spearguns, but have never done much with the gun's nose cone.
Taimen rigged.JPG

Reactions: FrostyToes
That thing looks megasweet. There's definitely room for improvement in the Euro models. I'm going to make a soft shackle out of dyneema for now, but I really like the mechanism on that taimen.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT