• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mainland China, anyone...?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Diving Gecko

shooter & shooter
Jun 24, 2008
I recently moved to Shanghai and wondering if anyone knows of any freedivers or spearos in mainland China...?

David

Well, the great pioneer of modern freediving, Jacques Mayol, was born in Shanghai, so I hope you'll find his tracks and followers there. Perhaps raising a statue and founding a club in his name would be a good deed to start with, if you do not find any of it done yet :D

I checked if any of my Chinese APNEA.cz members come from Shanghai, but unfortunately it does not look like. However if you check Google, you can find some references. For example the Shanghai Divers club seems to practice freediving too. Their website Shanghaidivers.org - Scuba diving Resources and Information. This website is for sale! is no more functional (just a domain squatter there), but perhaps the club still exists. The contact info is listed for example here: scubish.com: Shanghai Divers Club - Shanghai - China

Check out also the Unscuba diving club:
???????-??
or other diving clubs you find in Shanghai

Also this NZ guy living in Shanghai claims to be interested in freediving, so you can try contacting him.

Then there are also some manufacturers or stores selling spearfishing / freediving gear, so I guess there must be spearfishers/freedivers too. I see for example these ones, but you may find more of them if you really look around:
Shanghai CJ Outdoor Sport Gears Co., Limited. - Surfing, Diving, Kayaking
Shanghai Bestler Enterprise Co., Ltd. - Wetsuit, drysuit, diving suit
Shanghai Mako Dive Equipment Co., Ltd, Shanghai, Shanghai, China, Asia Dive Centre Center

You will find much more information if you dig little bit in Google. If you do not find any freedivers, or freediving clubs, just try spearfishers, or scuba divers - they will probably point you to the right direction. And if you can handle little bit of Chinese, you'll probable find much more than what I saw in English.

Last edited:
Pity I didn't read this earlier, I was in Shanghai at the time of your post and was doing some training in my hotel pool... good luck to find some partner there, and if you are back to BKK sometimes let us know there is a nice group there.

btw, great prices on yingfa swimsuits:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT