• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Make a FreeDiving Wetsuit?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JoshuaBland

Oct 25, 2021
Hello Everyone, Can you make a two piece Freediving wetsuit yourself?
we are coming into our winter season here in Canada, and though my 5mm wetsuit is holding up to the 8 degree waters so far, i'm wanting something a little thicker. over the winter months I enjoying having a project to work on and got it in my head to TRY making a two piece wetsuit. I've looked into the process a bit however I can't seem to find any templates and/or tutorials online. Just wondering if anyone out there has done this themselves, if so any information is appreciated? also wondering if its even worth a try. I'm talking open cell wetsuit.
Thank you all and happy diving!

Sounds like a great project, something I have been thinking of trying for a while. I think this would be a very large undertaking unless you already had a well fitting or custom suit to directly build templates from. I would not expect to find any templates by size as creating a good fit is more of a skill less likely shared. Where might you source the high quality neoprene sufficient for winter diving?

Reactions: JoshuaBland
Sounds like a great project, something I have been thinking of trying for a while. I think this would be a very large undertaking unless you already had a well fitting or custom suit to directly build templates from. I would not expect to find any templates by size as creating a good fit is more of a skill less likely shared. Where might you source the high quality neoprene sufficient for winter diving?
That's a fair point, I might be able to take the template from my current wetsuit. it fits me quite well and may fit the bill. I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy the more popular neoprenes like a Yamamoto, However I did find a place called Macro International. They have a couple different blends of neoprene that they claim have the density for diving and/or surf suits. The issues is they are in California and it may end up costing more in shipping then to just buy a new wetsuit. I need to call them with the specifications of the neoprene I want and figure out price and shipping. still looking to see if there is anywhere in Canada though.

That's a fair point, I might be able to take the template from my current wetsuit. it fits me quite well and may fit the bill. I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy the more popular neoprenes like a Yamamoto, However I did find a place called Macro International. They have a couple different blends of neoprene that they claim have the density for diving and/or surf suits. The issues is they are in California and it may end up costing more in shipping then to just buy a new wetsuit. I need to call them with the specifications of the neoprene I want and figure out price and shipping. still looking to see if there is anywhere in Canada though.
You could skip thicker pants. get 7mm jacket. If the water is very cold you could get 2mm or 3mm shorts to wear under your 5mm pants. and/or a neoprene vest, if the jacket is not enough.

When it is cold, I just wear and take off the wetsuit at home and wear a jacket on top of it.

I bought the Salvimar Pit Stop pants with the pee tube. I love that. I pee outside, it makes the cold water dive more comfortable.

Good luck with your project. Maybe it would be easier to start with a summer wetsuit, where potential issues and mistakes would not be as critical.

I'm assuming anywhere in Canada which is north of where I am will be very cold and require at a minimum a 6.5mil or 7mil suit. For a first time custom I would be more inclined to make a smoothskin suit where the ends are just glued and no stitching. The thick suit will have nice thick ends to line up and bond together well also the material may be easier to work with having no fabric. I personally favor the smoothskin because it seals incredibly well and does not hold any water on the outside to evaporate or freeze but is a more vulnerable to sharp objects.

Professional suits are typically glued and sewed invisibly. I believe a special sewing machine is used for the sewing. But neoprene glue can hold surprisingly well (from my own major repairs).

You could skip thicker pants. get 7mm jacket. If the water is very cold you could get 2mm or 3mm shorts to wear under your 5mm pants. and/or a neoprene vest, if the jacket is not enough.

When it is cold, I just wear and take off the wetsuit at home and wear a jacket on top of it.

I bought the Salvimar Pit Stop pants with the pee tube. I love that. I pee outside, it makes the cold water dive more comfortable.

Good luck with your project. Maybe it would be easier to start with a summer wetsuit, where potential issues and mistakes would not be as critical.
I never thought about getting/making just a jacket or vest. That could work and i appreciate the idea!

yes, I have started doing the same thing! I put the shower to about room temp or a little warmer (never to hot), and put on/take off my wetsuit in the house. it just makes life so much more comfortable.

I really like the idea of the pee tube, but I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with it on me. (practically its great though)

Thanks Again, and Happy Diving.

I'm assuming anywhere in Canada which is north of where I am will be very cold and require at a minimum a 6.5mil or 7mil suit. For a first time custom I would be more inclined to make a smoothskin suit where the ends are just glued and no stitching. The thick suit will have nice thick ends to line up and bond together well also the material may be easier to work with having no fabric. I personally favor the smoothskin because it seals incredibly well and does not hold any water on the outside to evaporate or freeze but is a more vulnerable to sharp objects.
Yeah, we are coming into our colder season and are at about 6-7 degrees so far. Honestly, Its not to bad yet and I don't know how cold it is going to get, being that this is my first time diving in the winter.

I REALLY like the smooth skin idea! I'm not really wanting to blind stitch an entire wetsuit. so I appreciate you suggesting it. I have heard some horror stories about smooth skin wetsuit though. people saying there suit ripped in half after a couple uses. (Probably user error?)

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Professional suits are typically glued and sewed invisibly. I believe a special sewing machine is used for the sewing. But neoprene glue can hold surprisingly well (from my own major repairs).
yes, I have seen videos of those sewing machines. It does look tricky, However another member (7BDiver) had suggested making a smooth skin wetsuit would avoid sewing.
Thanks I haven't had much experience with neoprene glues and it's good to hear that. Is there a specific brand you would suggest?

I have a 5 mm Mares double for normal dives and a 7 mm dual for winter dive. At intermediate temperature, I do use the 7 mm jacket and 5 mm farmer johns. Just look for Mares catalog, I do believe it will suit your needs.
Water Temperature here ranges from 8 to 25 C.

it’s a big project. It’s really difficult to buy the right machine to sew the seams and you’ll need a hydronic clamp to help glue the seam. Plus you need proper ventilation and advance understanding of pattern making… list goes on.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT