• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Making a backplate/measurments

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
Building a backplate - anyone know where I can get the dimentions/thickness?

I have some friends in a metal shop who might be able to put one together for me, but I am unable to get my hands on one to measure it - not so many backplates in Northern BC.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Willer

PERFECT! exactly what I was looking for! You just saved a starving student/instructor some much needed $$$. if you're ever in Prince George....

Anyone care to debate 1/8 (5lbs) vs 1/4 (10lbs) plate?

Willer

i think that this model is similar, except for the second bend in the backplate, besides that i was unable to see any differences...

oh,and its in adobe acrobat format, be sure to get to page 2 (i didnt find it for awhile...)

Attachments

• backplate.pdf
    65.7 KB · Views: 326
good call - te second bendpoints seem to be right through the strap slots on the Lacosse diagram. was wondering if that was simply and image compression issue with printing.

Thanks all.

willer

if you look at the picture on the lacasse it looks as if the slots are in the second bendpoint although the version i have doesnt have the slot diameters, i think an optimal backplate could be made with a combination of the 2 designs...

here is the STA patter that went with it...

Attachments

• adapter_singletank.pdf
    12.8 KB · Views: 299
1/8 vs 1/4

It would really depend on where you do most of your diving. Warm water vs Cold. If in cold water with a dry suit the 1/4 will let you use less weight on the weight belt.
I have an 1/8 but most of my diving is done in warm water with a 3mil shorty.

It also depends on what kind of tanks you are using.
When in warm water diving aluminum I use a plastic plate. For cold water with a drysuit and double steel tanks I use the 1/8. Some friends of mine dive double aluminum 80's with a drysuit in cold water and use the 1/4 to offset the bouyancy. Whatever weights you properly, so you don't have to put it on a belt, would be the one to go with.

Jon

good points - I'll be doing most of my "plate" diving in the Pacific northwest - drysuit. Probably twin AL 80's as I can't affort the LP Steel 104 set I really want... (need more cash).

See if they can dig it up in 1/4.

Willer

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT