• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Making New Friends.....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I'll try and get some pics up.

My father-in-law runs two charter boats out of Milwaukee. We have wrecks that range from 5' to 320' of depth. We have 150 year old wooden schooners to 50 year old freighters. They run between 65' and 350'+ in length.

Right now I am the only one freediving on them, but last summer I got Jim, Freedivechicago, out on a couple of them with me. This summer I plan on getting Ted, UNIRDNA, out on some. Ted would know the spearing laws, but I think that you can only spear roughfish and panfish. Salmon and lake trout are not allowed as far as I know. I usually like to dive them and look for lost gear. I also like playing around with my scooter to cover so real distance on the bottom. I can retrieve lost dive gear faster than putting a bubble blower in the water. It also helps to freedive with a scooter if we are surveying a new area- high speed, low drag.

Check out some of my photos on the WWW.NITROXPLUS.COM website. I have some shots from a bunch of different local wrecks, or you can check out some of Chris Kohl's shipwreck books- he has bought a bunch of photos from me for them.

There is one fish that we do have a lot of on the wrecks and I know for sure that you can spear them. They are called Burbot and, I guess, are a freshwater cod. Most of the locals call them "lawyerfish" because they're bottom feeders. ;)

Jon

Can't spear the salmon

Scott,

In Lake Michigan it is legal to spear only rough fish. Those included in the list are: carp (and all other invasives), white bass, yellow bass, all suckers, and burbot. Additionally, it is legal to spear panfish when diving on inland lakes (I suppose you could say Michigan is an inland lake as well, albeit one that is larger than some seas) in all but a few northern [Wisconsin] counties. Panfish include: black crappie, white crappie, bluegill, pumpkinseed, rockbass, green sunfish, warmouth, and white-tip reef sharks. Bag limits are the same as hook-and-line limits (usually 25/day - 50 possesion limit).

Regarding the "lawyerfish"... Burbot (freshwater cod), in fact, are not 'bottom feeders'. They are frequently found on the bottoms of lakes because they prefer structural habitat to open water. In Lake Michigan their main prey are sculpin (a small, bottom-dwelling relative of the ling cod). They are indiscriminant, voracious predators - but not bottom feeders. Adult burbot are at the top of the food chain. They grow to over one meter long, and are mainly piscivorous. The Canadian and U.S. Fisheries have been trying for years to get the public interested in eating these things with little success. I've eaten them. They are quite good. I've found that the best way to prepare them is to boil the meat for 3-5 min, then add spices and butter and throw em in the oven (covered in foil) for another 10-20 min. Add a twist of lemon and you done.

Ted

Last edited:
HI, Water Rat here.

Blue Springs: TOURIST TRAP!!!! Oh, the idea has trapped ME. :)
Drool, Drool....
Water Rat

Last summer I stopped by the aquarium in Duluth. If you haven't been to it . . . GO! Superior is a fresh-water sea and they treat it as such. Wonderful place and has an interesting blurb on burbot. I suppose that if they're legal to spear that would make an excuse for a really thick wetsuit. Man, it gets cold up there. I mean, how cold does it have to be to freeze Lake Superior five feet thick? Anyway, I must admit that you northern types are more man than I, diving in that stuff. Brrrr.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: stevevidar
Yeehah, Oldsarge,

I haven't been to Lake Superior since I was a kid--Daddy taught my sister and me to skip stones there. Oh, it was FUN. :)
I never actually got in the water--now that I'm interested in freediving, I'd love to try...but if it's as cold as Mom and Dad said it was, IN THE LAKE--IN THE SUMMER--that's when we were there--in the summer of, maybe, 1970--MAYBE I SHOULD DIVE SOUTHERLY. I swam in the Pacific Ocean in the summer of 1978--around the San Diego area--it was WARM and WONDERFUL--too bad Mom and Dad decided a half-hour was all they were going to give Jeanne and me to swim--they thought we'd like Disneyland better. Can't speak for Jeanne--then--she scubas now--BUT I COULD'VE SPENT THE WHOLE THREE WEEK VACATION RIGHT THERE ON THE SEASHORE--AND IN THE SEA--SWIMMING...AND DIVING. :)
Parents--they never know what their kids are thinking. :(
I worked at Camp Okobojii the rest of the summer--and gave the lifeguard fits swimming way out from where he was there to rescue me--I swam along the shore--about 10 feet off from it--I wasn't a complete idiot--but I swam so far, and did it enough times, he finally came after me--and chewed me out for it.
The water was cold--there--in northern Iowa--but I was born and raised in Iowa--so it wasn't anything new.
My roomie and I took the Polar Bear Challenge--in August--before we left for home and school in the fall--Get up at 5:00AM and go swimming in the lake. Talley Sue just stuck a toe in--I ran out onto the deck, jumped in, and swam underwater--as far as I could. Does that make me a seal? A walrus?? Or maybe Polar bears like to dive??? How 'bout a WHALE--LOL! A LOON--ROFLOL!!!
Water Rat

Warm water?:confused: In San Diego?:head In the Japan Current?rofl Man, you are tough. We sensitive types wear 5mm wetsuits to dive out here. Our idea of warm water is a hot tub . . . preferably with company.:cool:

Sarge, dear,

How're YOU gonna make it in the OLYMPICS in VANCOUVER, CANADA????? I've never worn a WETSUIT in my LIFE!
Water Rat

Oh, BTW--I do have my tender spot--I could NEVER stand to spear a fish. Fishies deserve to live, too.
Water Rat, and her Hindu mottos

I am still searching the web on the construction of the springs. Does anyone know the site?? Would love to have one in back yard??

Reactions: stevevidar
Xsaul,
I'm gonna sit in my hot tub and watch the Olympics, same as usual. At my age spectator sports are the only kind I like that don't end with something to eat. And, I figure that eventually the fishies will end up eating me so it will all even out in the end.;)

Sarge & Pa Teeny,

YOU guys are WEIRD! Still, *I* seem to be the weird one around here--everyone else seems to love spearfishing--I can't hardly stand to swat a fly--actually, I swatted a fly some years ago...AND STILL FEEL BAD ABOUT IT!!! :( Seriously!!! :( :(
I have an old lady friend who ATE flies--she doesn't now--she's regained her sanity.
This is ALL FOR REAL--so if Kars complains about me thinking his sungazing is weird, you can freely tell him *I* AM WEIRD, TOO. :)
Water Rat, who probably will NEVER be SANE, and still wishes she COULD be at the Olympics--just to CHEER KARS AND MY OTHER BUDDIES ON!!! (But who is still at 3 minutes--the New Method--as of TODAY)...her Old Method was hyperventilating....sigh....

Originally posted by xsaul
Sarge & Pa Teeny,

YOU guys are WEIRD!

Ah well, dear lady, I fear you aren't the first to make that observation. Fortunately, I have an extremely tolerant wife (or perhaps one with an odd sense of humor?) and my students find me entertaining so I figure since there is no hope for me, I may as well just muddle on.

Good diving,

Back atcha, Sarge! :)

I'm plannin' on hittin' the POOL TODAY!!! (YEAY!!!!!) :) :) :)
My Hubby's pretty darned TOLERANT too--He's gotta be....
Water Rat--chasing her tail.
BTW--what do you teach???

I teach horticulture and drafting at the high school level. My wife knows I am different and is happy to spend time with me. I got her away from her crazy family!!! I am the savior of her. No she has some mental problems - bJ (Before Jeff_ME) That is another point. I have been married almost 10 years and she know what a goof I can be but that is what gives life some spice.

I wish you a Good Day and I hope to have one my self- Life Is Good. Wish I were swimming in a pool- You lucky dog- Swimming in nebraska?? In-door pool?

Too cool-

Sarge and Me have found that special person who realizes how lucky they are to have us! Right Sarge?

LOL! Pa Teeny, you are gonna make me laugh so hard I'll swallow my gum and SAMBA--then Black Out!!!
I haven't done THAT since 1975--I didn't use the GUM Method then. I HOPE to Jolly it wasn't the Grand Mal Seizure Method my neurologist seems to think it was--BUT--she wasn't THERE--and *I* wasn't CONSCIOUS--LOL! Anyways--I wasn't diagnosed with epilepsy yet, in 1975--THAT ducky little experience happened in 1985--and again in 2001. NOW--they're not sure WHAT I have!
ANYWAYS--are YOU the Jeff my California freediving friend Ron knows--the Jeff married to "Breathholding by Lori"??? Ron sent me some old tapes of hers--for free--NOW she SELLS 'EM for MONEY--I'll bet *I've* made *more*--$515.00 for ONE breathhold--If ya wanna buy the BOOK--well, you might want to ask the American Psychiatric Association--I think Fun Foundation sold most of the copies to them. But you can find the stories in the archives on Suite101, I reckon. Under "A Survivor's Tale" in the Bipolar Section. The stories are "Glory Days," I don't remember the names of the others--the book version is "Schizophrenia: The Adventure." It's in the Anthology "The Gift of Depression."
It was this that garnered me the LBC, (LungBustersClub)--Ron is the co-founder, and my membership on Deeperblue. Jay introduced me....
If you're Lori's Jeff--and she's the one on the tape--THAT WOULD EXPLAIN A FEW THINGS!!!! Poor lady probably learned to HIDE FROM HER CRAZY FAMILY UNDERWATER IN THE BATHTUB!!!!
Water Rat--who's got experience....(if you're that Jeff--don't tell Lori she's "poor lady"--I really think she's onto something--selling her holds--and finding a GREAT way to escape the FAM--wish I woulda thoughta that BEFORE I got CERTIFIED!!!!)
Yep--I've gone PRO--so THE OLYMPICS are OUT for ME!

What is it about Pa Teeny and me that seems to have attracted ladies from dysfunctional families? I guess that helped in the courtship because even we could seem normal. I wrestle 10-12 year-olds (5th/6th combo) for a living which is what has sent me to investigate this spearfishing business. I figure if you're gonna eat meat, y'gotta be responsible for takin' it. But since I teach in urban SoCal, that ain't easy to do. It's sent me to Africa and the Arctic because that's where the seasons are open when I can get away. At least the ocean is close. ;)

HI Sarge,

Ladies from dysfunctional families??? (LOL!) My Rollie attracted TWO of us--his first wife, Sheila, and me--Reba. Both Sheila and I come from alcoholic homes, our families have lots of artists in them--AND--our mothers are both named Marian.
Ironical, huh??? :)
Water Rat
BTW--What was Rollie's secret in snagging me?? He was good to me, pure and simple...very easy to fall in love with.... :) :)

Xsaul,
Sure, I've been twice and I'm going again in August. That's the only advantage to middle-age that I can think of. With the kids grown, you have money to do what you want. So, when I read a few years back that the most common daydream of the American male wasn't a date with a super-model, it was an African safari, I said to myself, "Fine then, suckers, you go ahead and dream. I'm going to go!" It was my 50th birthday present to myself. The only trouble with Africa is that it's kind of like peanuts. One isn't enough. So I went again in '00 and I'm going again this year . . . and . . . and . . .

Sarge,

As Howard Dean put it: "AAAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!"
Jealous. :)
The fartherest I've been from the Good Old USA is a few days in Canada, around 1970, and a few hours in Mexico--Tiajuana (sp?)...in, I think, 1978. Tourist Trap. :) :)
I also vaguely remember going south of the border, for a few hours to pick up Uncle Omer, my Dad's brother--when I was about four. I slept through most of it.
I always wanted to dive in Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Scuba OR free...whatever I can get--LOL! Which, is--for the Reef, probably NOTHING!
Water Rat--who's gotta be satisfied with the local YMCA pool--when she can get THERE. Still, I got Official Doctor's Permission to freedive in pool--and it's WARM.... :) :) :) 87 Degrees--Fahrenheit. (sp?)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT