• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Making your own pizza dough

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
I hope this forum is not exclusively devoted to seafood recipes. If so, let me know and later I'll post a recipe for a seafood topping. :)

For at least 20 years I've been making little changes to my recipe, trying to copy the great crusts that we ate during a couple of bicycle rides through Italy. Some times I do better than others, but I can't seem to be consistent and know how its going to turn out.

But this Christmas my daughter gave me a book, American Pie, by Peter Reinhart, and now I may have it wired. He traveled all over Italy and the US talking to great pizza chefs, and he lists several different dough recipes. I've always like wafer-thin crisp-but-tender crusts, so last night for the first time I tried what he calls Roman Pizza Dough. And to keep it simple, I did the classic Margherita topping so that the crust wouldn't be overwhelmed. I've never worked with a dough so easy to stretch, but with no worry of tearing. It came out great!

In addition to several different dough recipes, he also has recipes for sauces and toppings of all kinds. I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to make his own pizza from scratch.

Of course the optimum pizza oven is one of those wood-fired domed things, but few of us can afford them, so his instructions are on how to make the best of our standard ovens, with or without convection.

He doesn't address it, but for years I've been using my gas grill as a pizza oven. I turn all the burners to high and preheat a pizza stone for an hour. It gets a lot hotter than my standard gas oven in the kitchen, and works well for me.

Of course you could just call Dominos. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 234
Reactions: ReefTroll
I'm drooling Bill! There is a stall at our local market that makes great pizzas and they use some sort of gas grill/BBQ with some kind of stone or similar base, they close the lid and in 5 mins the pizza is done! (very thin base)

Not Bad from one american, Not Bad at all. Looks like roman pizza to me and i know what we Are talking about. :)

Just a small 'advice'. Simply put a very small amount of basil at the centre, don't scatter it all around. It should give a nice smell only.

Just a small 'advice'. Simply put a very small amount of basil at the centre, don't scatter it all around. It should give a nice smell only.

Well, feel free to do it your way, and I'll do it mine. If it tastes good to you that's what counts. My main point in posting this thread was to recommend a source that helped me get the dough right.

But I've seen photos of pizzas right out of the ovens in DOC approved place in Naples with basil much like my first photo.

Last edited:
Reactions: agbiv
Fantastico! Now we can play with the topping to put on the crust! I definitely vote for seafood ingredients.

A good family friend of ours made us homemade pizza, base and all, so this recipe is very good to see here as I LOVED it!!

Well, feel free to do it your way, and I'll do it mine. If it tastes good to you that's what counts. My main point in posting this thread was to recommend a source that helped me get the dough right.

But I've seen photos of pizzas right out of the ovens in DOC approved place in Naples with basil much like my first photo.

Easy Bill, I've simply shared my opinion as you did,off course you can do it the way you like it. As to the DOC part, it makes me chuckle, lived in Italy for 30 years and never had to talk about one to tell if a pizza was good or not :) anyhow, never trust certification too much, not many years ago Tuscany used to sell badly cut so called doc wine as if it was real chianti ;)
Buon appetito.

I make 2 types of base... a thin an crispy one similiar to an arabic flatbread with no yeast and no time to rise... quick and easy.

The second one I have uses yeast and I let it rise so it doubles, then I roll it out into a circle and let rise for another 15mins.

Then I cook both bases in a hot oven for 7 or 8 minutes before putting the toppings on.... mmmmm stop it all getting too mushy, then back in for another 12minutes ish ;)

Good thread :)

I love making my own pizza, and also struggled to find a good dough recipe. I invested in The Silver Spoon | Phaidon and have enjoyed so many recipes from it, including homemade orange marmalade.

I love thin crust pizza and putting in a dash of olive oil gives it that je ne sais quoi - nice thread Bill. :)

Bill do you mind sharing the trick which makes the dough flexible without tearing?
As the lady above, I'm using some olive oil and after stretching the dough I let it rise for another 10-15 mins.
As I don't have an oven here where I live this year, I even managed to do a pizza in a pan. Granted, it's not as good as coming from the oven, but it's acceptable.

I think key for producing a decent crust is to use less yeast than one would expect allowing the dough to rise very slowly and handling the dough very careful when stretching it out.

Exactly. The recipes in the book I recommended use much less yeast than I've always used, then they let the dough rise overnight in the refrigerator.

Exactly. The recipes in the book I recommended use much less yeast than I've always used, then they let the dough rise overnight in the refrigerator.
»American Pie« is a great, very inspiring book! Helped me a lot. He takes his pizza very seriously :)

cheers for the link mista fox. I'll give it a shot when I'll try another round of my pan pizza.

Hmmm, my cookbook shelves are filling beyond capacity. It is available on NOOK? :D

Ah I forgot to cover the dough with a bit of water before putting it in the fridge so it was a bit dried out on the outside. Anyways, the dough was really great to work with after a day in the fridge. Will definitely do it this again this way. And making it in a pan also worked out a lot better than on my first try.

Try a little bit of olive oil… Doesn't mess as much with the quality of your dough. I always put the single dough balls on small plates and put them in freezer bags.

And here might be some input for your pan fried pizza (although they use a broiler at some point): Bringing Neapolitan Pizza Home (aka 'The Skillet-Broiler Method')

So many things to try out… Making nice pizza seems to become a life long journey, damnit! rofl

Yeah I had it in a freezer bag as well. It really seems as if making a Pizza is like writing a PhD thesis. You start with thinking ok this is not going to be so bad and in the end you realize that there's so much more to try and you are nowhere where you wanna be. Anyways, compared to doing a PhD you at least get to eat good food :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT