• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

MAKO Hunter vs Competition fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Danimal6513

Jul 21, 2013
Alright, I'm a total noob at freediving, but I went a couple times at a spring with some friends and now i'm hooked. Anyways, I'm looking for a pair of fins to start off with. I'd be diving 30- 40 feet and doing some spearing as well. Also i'm 6'2 200 pounds and i have strong legs, but i'm not really accustomed to fins. Right now I've narrowed the search down to the MAKO Competition fins or the MAKO Hunter fins. the only difference i can see is that the Competitions have a removable foot pocket and cost 30 dollars more. Price is everything for me right now, and the 63 dollars is awful tempting. I can afford the other ones though, and i want to know if it would be worth the extra cost. Also, how do these fins compare to other similar ones like the Cressi Gara Pro 2000s or Seac Sub Shouts. I want something that I will be able to use for awhile without upgrading, and I would value some experienced opinions.

I have no experience with the mako fins, but if you have wide feet and are cost conscious, the immersion e:green are a very solid and inexpensive fin when bought from diveinn.com.

The green fin is also super visible from the surface, aiding in diver safety.

Those immersions look nice but idk about the foot pocket. My feet are pretty standard sizes. one thing with the removable blades, is the prospect of upgrading to fiberglass or carbon fiber blades eventually. How much performance difference would there actually be, and is the MAKO Competition a solid enough fin to be worth putting extra money into in the future? I'm probably getting way ahead of myself though.

I haven't seen or tried the Mako footpockets, but I have a pair of the Competition blades in Dessault footpockets. It took some fitting, but they work really well. I wouldn't be afraid of the fixed blade model.There are a lot of divers who never change up.

I am torn between the 2 as well There may be an advantage that the Competition allow you to buy a spare single fin or individual parts in case you lose or break one. Also I am not sure of the total length, but a fin with a removable blade could be taken apart and fit in a shorter bag for airplane travel. They state somewhere that the Freediver Hunter are made by the same factory as the Cressi Gara 3000, but I believe most Cressi stuff is still made in Italy, not in China.

As an FYI. If you lose a fin or need a replacement, we will ALWAYS sell a single fin for half the price of a pair. I mean how much of a problem is it for all retailers to do that? Without a left or a right footpocket, it's really not like we are breaking up a pair if we sell you one fin.:angelic:

As an FYI. If you lose a fin or need a replacement, we will ALWAYS sell a single fin for half the price of a pair. I mean how much of a problem is it for all retailers to do that? Without a left or a right footpocket, it's really not like we are breaking up a pair if we sell you one fin.:angelic:

Thank you - I received the Competition and felt quite good, I I am happy. I was told by Mako CS that for the cheaper Hunter ones no single fins are available. It would be great if Mako would sell also shorter blades for air travel, something that would fit in a 30 inch bag. I'd buy them. I could buy a spare set of blades and try to cut them myself, but that would be messier.
Anyway I landed a 8 lb 24 inch blackfish / tautog, using Predator III 70cm and 3mm Mako wetsuit.

Regarding the claim abut the Mako Hunter being equivalent to the Cressi Gara fins, aren't the Cressi made in Italy?
Happy with the Predator III speargun as well, but could have some improvements (more rounded sharkfins, opening slot in the muzzle for removing or replacing a band without having to untie / tie, being a little less tip heavy). But overall I am quite happy.

Thanks for the positive feedback. However, I first need to apologize for our Customer Service slip up.

We WILL sell single fins for half price, all fins...

Actually I'm glad you brought this to my attention, because it will give me an opportunity to talk to the guys first thing in the morning to make sure we all have the same playbook. My apologies.

Glad to hear you took a nice Taug with the 70 MAKO!

If you are concerned about how quickly you can change a band on our muzzle, we also offer wishbone inserts which can be pre-tied and then you just loop the dynema in and tie a knot.

We've been doing a little work on shorter fins, but haven't found a good match yet. As for the other brands manufacturing location, perhaps they can answer that for you.

Thanks Again
Dano

Thanks for the positive feedback. However, I first need to apologize for our Customer Service slip up.

We WILL sell single fins for half price, all fins...

Actually I'm glad you brought this to my attention, because it will give me an opportunity to talk to the guys first thing in the morning to make sure we all have the same playbook. My apologies.

Glad to hear you took a nice Taug with the 70 MAKO!

If you are concerned about how quickly you can change a band on our muzzle, we also offer wishbone inserts which can be pre-tied and then you just loop the dynema in and tie a knot.

We've been doing a little work on shorter fins, but haven't found a good match yet. As for the other brands manufacturing location, perhaps they can answer that for you.

Thanks Again
Dano

Dano thanks.

If I had known the Hunter fins were available as single for half price, I would have got those and saved 30 bucks, as the main issue for me was the possibility of breaking a blade and getting a replacement (a lot more common than breaking a foot pocket after all). I appreciate the clarification....
I need to see those inserts, but I feel it would make more sense to have a slot opening in the hole where the bands are accommodated wide enough for the wishbone to get through. It would make removing or replacing bands a snap. I could probably cut an opening myself. It would be great for a Predator IV. As some foam at the tip end of the pipe. As I said I am happy, I just see there are some inexpensive improvements in the design that could make it even better.

I'm very sorry for the confusion - Clearly it was our error.

If you ever break a blade on your current fins, the replacement will be free - just remind me of this situation. We also sell replacement blades as singles - not just whole fins and we of course sell single footpockets too.

Also, the normal price for replacement blades for your fins is just $15.00 (each).

http://www.makospearguns.com/Replacement-Competition-Freediver-Fin-Blades-p/mrcffb.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/Competition-Freediver-Foot-Pocket-p/mcffp.htm

Thank you, no problem.
I appreciate, the 3 mm wetsuit is also very nice, and I could get into it once I forgot the bottle with the soapy water just by soaking it into the sea.

If you could make available some precut plastic blades that would make the fin 29" long total, to fit in more standard airplane travel bags it would be great. The fins are very comfortable.

Reactions: MAKO Spearguns
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT