• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mako-specific: Competition Fiberglass or Pure Carbon?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TheBob

Dec 4, 2014
OK, apologies for Yet Another New Thread on fin choice. I'm just starting freediving, and have completed FII Freediver Level I training. The last piece of gear I'm lacking is fins.

I had ordered a pair of Waterway Captain Nemo Powerfins on the strong recommendation of my dive instructor, Mark Lozano of San Diego (FII). (He is fantastic, by the way. :) ) I ordered them through Freedivershop.com... and somehow, my order got lost in shipment. Having waited almost 6 weeks already, I decided to not have them reship, and to their credit, they are issuing me a full refund.

At this point, I've purchased a wetsuit and several other items through Mako, and am so far favorably impressed. I'm planning to purchase either their Pure Carbon or Competition Fiberglass fins, and am a bit torn: The difference in price is not that much, but I have no brand-specific information on Mako's carbon and fiberglass offerings.

Background: I live in San Jose, California, and my 'local' diving will likely be in the Monterey Bay. I'd like to be able to travel with my fins. Last, I tend to treat ALL my gear with the greatest of care. With all of that in mind, do I really need to be concerned about durability as a factor in my decision?

After scouring the forum for all fin-related info, I doubt if I will be able to tell the difference between fiberglass and carbon (and I did read the thread by Mr. Mullins on material comparison), but I'm smart enough to know when I am ignorant, lol... and the massive majority of folks clearly make carbon fiber sound like the 'best' option out there. (The Mako price difference is about $85, by the way.)

So, although I know that noone on this forum likes to express an opinion (ROFLMAO), what say you all to this question?

Let the games begin... (drumroll... fanfare... ACTION!)

Bob

I'm going to violate the "Mako Specific" part of the title, so take it for what its worth until something better comes along.

For many years I used Edge fiberglass fins, and they were a huge improvement over my plastic fins. But then I had a chance to try Moana carbon fiber fins, and I ordered a pair the next day. Everyone I know thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread. In fact I had to put my name on mine after the first time that everyone on my boat was wearing Moanas. It was very confusing.

Yes, I realize that neither fin was a Mako, and that they were not even the same brand in each fin.

No surprise and no worries, Bill... thanks for the reply. :)

The reason I'm probing for anyone with experience on the Mako fins is that it does seem that carbon fins in particular can be VERY different, both in durability and performance. I'll talk to the Mako rep on the phone for sure, if I don't hear any feedback today... and take it from there.

Bob

I spoke with Josh at Mako today, and ended up getting their hybrid fiberglass+carbon fiber fins; a central fiberglass layer with top and bottom carbon fiber layers. I'm looking forward to completion of my initial gear and getting into the water... will post thoughts on the fins after that.

Bob

Any updates sir on your purchased fins? I would like to hear your feedback/review about the fins coz I too have been confused as to which one to get, the Pure Carbon or the Composite (Hybrid). And what made you choose the hybrid over the pure carbon?

Sorry for the delayed reply... and for not having any feedback as of yet. For a number of reasons, I ended up not being able to dive since I purchased the fins. I'm post-operative for some (minor) surgery, and will likely be able to dive again in 2-3 months.

On the choice of these fins, I dithered quite a bit between the carbon, fiberglas, and composite fins from Mako, and had settled on the fiberglas for performance and durability. From all the conversations I had, it sounded like (a) they would be more durable and (b) being honest about my own abilities, the performance difference would likely be minimal. I was also concerned about the carbon being more breakable, whether that's a valid concern or not I still don't know.

As it happens, they didn't have my size in the fiberglas... and offered to sell me the hybrid at the same price as the fiberglas, which I jumped on. More durable and closer to pure carbon performance sounded (and still sounds) like a great combination.

I'm looking forward to getting back in the water... especially in Maui, where I'm going in November. :) I'd like to get a dive or two in before then, but we'll see what my doctor says.

Hope this helps-

Bob

Any update on the fins: performance, fit, durability, handsomeness? I'm considering ordering a pair and any info from someone that has them would really help.

NoVizKid....

Save the money and go with the fiberglass blades. Unless you are stepping up to a High End Carbon fin such as Molchanovs Freediving, Alchemy, etc.... It's not worth the extra investment.
Fiberglass blades will be a dramatic improvement over plastic and be more then capable of taking you to the next level. If you have a little extra $, put it into some quality Footpockets. The MAKO pockets leave a lot to be desired. Good luck.

Coo. I ordered the FG blades and will post with how they feel and work. Thanks.

NoVizKid....

Save the money and go with the fiberglass blades. Unless you are stepping up to a High End Carbon fin such as Molchanovs Freediving, Alchemy, etc.... It's not worth the extra investment.
Fiberglass blades will be a dramatic improvement over plastic and be more then capable of taking you to the next level. If you have a little extra $, put it into some quality Footpockets. The MAKO pockets leave a lot to be desired. Good luck.

Curious, what is wrong with Mako footpockets ?

Yo Ronscuba, I just received my Makospearguns foot pockets with camouflage fiberglass blades today. I'll post how well, if at all, the feel and workability of the Fins when i get back from my first trip. Should be within a few days.

Any updates on the mako fins? Im interested in getting a pair but would like to hear some first hand feedback.

On the Fiber Glass fins. I ordered my FG fins with the extra long soft blades. I will say right away that I wish i ordered the medium stiffness. The reason I ordered the soft blades is because I was considering the amount of stress on my ankles since at the time i was transitioning from shorter fins. The fins work great even with the soft blades but i can tell I'm loosing some propulsion due to the softness of the blades. I recommend considering if your kick is technically sound and strong enough for a stiffer blade before you place an order. I have never used a carbon fin, to much money for me, but i will say that i've been diving for a long time and have used many fins and these FG fins are great. These FG fins are much better than all of the plastic and rubber fins I have ever used. My long kick really takes advantage of the long stiffer blades. Versus the other shorter mushier feeling fins I've owned Fiber Glass really shines. I can't see my speed or efficiency improving to much more if i were to upgrade to carbon from these mako FG fins that i have right now. If there was to be an improvement I feel that it would be minimal and only useful if I were to compete. I just spearfish Dude. Even though I wish I had the medium blades, the soft extra long blades definitely work for me.

Oh, I forgot to talk about the foot pockets. I have no issues with the foot pockets except that I order my pockets to small for me to use with my 5mm booties. I have to use my fins with my 2mm booties, but that is all my fault and my own doing. The foot pockets are stiff and comfortable. I have NEVER felt them moving twisting shifting or bending while i kick. The whole fin from foot pocket to blade feels connected and responsive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT