• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mako Vs. Spearmaster Fiberglass Fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nov 24, 2017
Hello all, new to the forum. I apologize if this question has been asked, but I couldn't find any info on it. I currently have a pair of cressi gara 3000LD fins. I want to upgrade to one of these fiberglass fins mentioned in the title, but only if I will notice a significant difference. Do you think there will be a significant difference? Bear in mind that I'm 6' 180lbs and bike 10 miles five days a week.

My second question: I have heard that Mako uses spearmaster fins but put their own name on them. Is this true? If they are the same blades, are the footpockets the same? If not, which one is better?

Thanks for your time. Safe Diving!

Perhaps Dano will chime in, but I think some of the Mako fins are Leaderfins. I have the carbon/glass mix Leaderfins and they've been bullet proof for 2 yrs. and counting. The only reason I did not get the Mako fins is because I am in a remote location and was only able to try the Leaderfins in my size. Was not for sure about the Mako size. But with the Mako you great Customer Service and I buy from Mako when I can. I also hear good things about the Spearmaster. My experience is limited so maybe someone with more knowledge will reply. Hope this helps.

Hello all, new to the forum. I apologize if this question has been asked, but I couldn't find any info on it. I currently have a pair of cressi gara 3000LD fins. I want to upgrade to one of these fiberglass fins mentioned in the title, but only if I will notice a significant difference. Do you think there will be a significant difference? Bear in mind that I'm 6' 180lbs and bike 10 miles five days a week.

My second question: I have heard that Mako uses spearmaster fins but put their own name on them. Is this true? If they are the same blades, are the footpockets the same? If not, which one is better?

Thanks for your time. Safe Diving!

Hey Tallahassee Diver,

Welcome to Deeper Blue.

And, thanks for your interest in our products. It is very common for various suppliers, such as MAKO to use the same factories as other suppliers. And, in some cases, we suppliers sell the exact same products as our competitors and simply change the name.

For example, my MAKO Footpockets which allow for interchangeable blades are made by the same factory that makes the Cressi and Omer and Beuchat fins and foot pockets. These are all very well respected companies with outstanding reputations for quality.

In fact, my MAKO Freedive Hunter Fins with fixed blades are the exact same fins offered by Cressi. The only difference is the name on the fin. And, because I sell direct, instead of through dive shops, my prices are often much lower. But, you get the same high quality factory, and the same high quality gear.

Regarding my fiberglass blades, they are made by Spearmaster in South Africa and my Carbon Composite Blades and my 100% Pure Carbon blades are made by Leader Fins. All of the blades are designed to fit my MAKO interchangeable foot pockets as well as other foot pockets. So, there is no gluing and you can interchange your blades as needed. Both Spearmaster and Leaderfins are also very well recognized for producing some of the highest quality and most durable blades available.

As for the stiffness, it sounds like you have some serious leg strength and you are a pretty big guy. I think you would be well served by going with the medium stiffness in either the Spearmaster Fiberglass or the Leaderfins Carbons.

We had a killer black Friday deal going on and I would be happy to extend that to you, but you would need to call our showroom to place an order.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Again, welcome to Deeper Blue!

Dive safe,

dano

Perhaps Dano will chime in, but I think some of the Mako fins are Leaderfins. I have the carbon/glass mix Leaderfins and they've been bullet proof for 2 yrs. and counting. The only reason I did not get the Mako fins is because I am in a remote location and was only able to try the Leaderfins in my size. Was not for sure about the Mako size. But with the Mako you great Customer Service and I buy from Mako when I can. I also hear good things about the Spearmaster. My experience is limited so maybe someone with more knowledge will reply. Hope this helps.

Hey Hydroid,

Thanks for the kind words about our customer service. I really believe we have the best customer service in the world, but it is the guys on my team who deserve all the credit.

We actually had a customer who was diving in Indonesia who lost a fin so we told him that we would simply FED Ex to him a replacement. He also told us that his wife needed some medicine and wondered if we could help with that too.

So, we had UPS pick up the medicine from his neighbor’s house and ship it to us so we could ship the medicine to Bali with the fin. But that’s just part of it. He also gave us a list of things they needed from the drug store, so my guys did some shopping before taping up the box and shipping it off to Indo. So, yeah..I am totally stoked for having such awesome guys on my team.

Thanks guys for taking time to read this.

Dive safe,
dano

Reactions: hydroid
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT