• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Malaysia(Langkawi/Penang)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MattGordon

Sep 10, 2001
Has anyone got any opinions (good or bad!) about the diving on the west coast of malaysia.
i am off there in a month and would love to hear about the conditions, sea life etc. i have read a few webpages, magazines etc but i always think you cant beat first hand opinions and stories when researching places.
Thanks and good diving.
Matt

In my opinion you would be much better diving off the East coast. I made only a couple dives in Langawi and while the marine life was not so bad, the visibility was quite poor. It did not seem a diving-oriented destination either.
I think the East Coast really worths the longer trip (my guess is that you're starting in K-L). My favourite is Perhentian Island. Redang is good also.
If you could allow for even more travel, Sipadan and Mabul islands in the Sulawesi Sea are probably some of the best diving destinations in the world! If were you I would make sure not to miss that during my stay in Malaysia.
Hope this helps...

I was in Malaysia in May 1998, all up the West coast. True, the viz is crap around islands like Penang and Langkawi, but I managed to squeeze in 2 dives on a day trip from Langkawi. ProDivers take you to Payar Island which had 15 meter viz and warm 30 degree (celsius) water. No wetsuit necessary, but the Parrot Fish that bit my nipple convinced me to don a T-shirt at least! Interesting sightings included Black-tip Reef Sharks and other exotic species not always seen in other parts of the world (for me diving the E. Coast of South Africa).
If you can, it's really worth the trip to the East Coast of Malaysia, as well as the islands of Sipidan, etc.

West coast of Malaysia

Just a brief reply of thanks to Virgil and Jo for their info.
I didnt get chance to go to the east coast of Malaysia(family hols!!) but did have some great dives at the Pulau Payar marine park. Vis was pretty good(15-25m) and the corals, wrecks and sea life(including plentiful Black tip sharks and big groupers) were stunning(at least to a poorly travelled Brit!!). I would recommend this dive site to anyone going to the West coast of malaysia. true to both replies langkawi and penang were crap vis and basically not worth bothering with either snorkelling or diving but the marine park is an easy hop(about 3/4hr by boat) and well worth it.
Thanks for the replies, and good diving to everyone.

Matt

I am from Malaysia and i think you better try the west coast like Redang or Tioman. Don't go to places near to west coast like Langkawi or Penang so the visibilty is very poor. Mostly the west coast islands are good you will enjoy it.

Reactions: Pekka
hi guys - guess we've all been to langkawi - was there tow months back - viz is super crappy - pulau payar was the best i could have hoped for - anyone see the huge cuda under the jetty? if not i have pics to showjust how big and friendly he was
got some good bottom time in the fairly shallow water at the park
dissapointed by all the rubbish there though!

sipadan is the best by far for viz and whatnot

anyone go to champor champor when they were there? meet uma and theo? guy that drinks in their bar took me diving at his lobster farm - some black tip reefys came by to say hi

salamat detang

i saw the barracuda when i was there - decent size, got a couple of ok photos of it though the water under the jetty was a bit murky at the time for any really good shots. i agree it was a total shame about the crap in the water closer in - supposed to be a nature reserve too!

i want to go back to malaysia and check out the east coast - sounds and looks a different world to the west, have to wait a while - off to Phuket and PhiPhi next year - maybe the year after!

I actually got to see a big cuda hunting on a recent trip to the atlantic coast of mexico, looked a lot more aggressive(though a lot smaller) than the one at PPayar!!!! By the way i will strongly reccomend Playa del Carmen and dressel divers for some great drift, wreck and naturalist dives if you are going to Mexico at any point and of course Cozumel is only a short hop away.. My personal high point was when our group was circled by a 9ft bull shark on a deep drift - what a buzz that was!!

Take care and good diving!

Matt

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT