• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Maldives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
O

octopus

I am off to Maldives on 12.04.2004. for two weeks. I know there is a slim chance of anybody joining me, but I thought I would ask anyway. There are some reasonable deals around.

I have never been diving before in tropical waters, so I would appreciate help tips from more experienced divers/divers who have already visited Maldives.

Thank you.

how did it go?
which island did you stay on or did you do safari boat?

South Ari Atoll, White Sands.

It was interesting experience. Amazing marine life.

I have some stereophotos as well. I have to scan them first though. :s :D

Which island are you on?

Last edited by a moderator:
i did my IDC there! great island! i am on Reethi Rah.. although the old hotel has been pulled down and we are replacing it with a six star luxury hotel and spa.

Last edited:
I went few times on safari, but large group usually scare marine life. Most of the time I used to hire a kayak, paddle to some "giri" and go diving. Freediving that is...never done SCUBA in my life. :D

which safari boat did you go on? i worked a year on safari boats here in Maldives, Rani, Discovery 1, and Sultans of the Seas boats. never had a problem with groups scaring off marine life. we have seen whale sharks, mantas, huge shoals of fish, all on scuba. (perhaps your dive guide didn't know where to take you :)

South Ari Atoll, i am going there on 3rd June for 4 nights getaway. they see whale sharks there 280 days of the year... didn't you see any?

i am going to holiday island.. just up the "road" from White Sands. (did you stay in the water village or in the bungalows?)

I stayed in bungalows. I am usually not bothered by accomodation quality, as long as it is clean. I spend most time in the water anyway. Safari trips were organised locally, as our resort have some sort of dive centre.
I am not saying that safari trips were bad or that we did not see anything...it is just that I was able to see a bit more when I was on my own. Our dive guide was local chap, great guy, Sobe.
Yes, whale sharks are quite common around that area. Unfortunately, towards the end of my stay I suffered middle ear barotrauma (3-rd degree, reverse...I believe). That cut my diving short for a few days so I missed seeing whale sharks. Next time perhaps. :D

The ring bubble was done from about 7-8m, in Adriatic sea. I have great teacher though. All he does during our training sessions is blow bubbles. :D

I loved the fact that there were no mosquitoes on White Sands...although rumors are that Sun island is full of them.

Originally posted by octopus
I have never been diving before in tropical waters, so I would appreciate help tips from more experienced divers/divers who have already visited Maldives.

Yup! Ive got advice! The best sort!
Enjoy yourself!!! :D

Lucky sod!! I miss my tropical diving :(

there are mosquitoes everywhere... especially during this monsoon. some islands choose not to spray when they have a lot of guests, the material they use is not particularly pleasant.

fortunately it's low season now and Holiday Island (I am not going to Sun Island although it's close) has only 25% occupancy right now.. so i got an amazing deal.. also for ex-pats with work permits we get really good discounts on the island.

White Sands (or Ari Beach as it used to be called) has become quite nicely maintained with their new management.

more on mosquito spraying

actually those machines can come in useful.
the ones they use here in Maldives are quite rudimentary.

they wheel them around in wheelbarrows and they look like big blow-dryers. They emit a disgusting smelling smoke that chokes you.

a couple of years back on one of the islands i was on, the watersports instructor got really drunk on new year's eve. he was 6ft5' and a really nice young good looking guy.

anyway, the next morning his roommate reported that he had not returned after the party. they found him lying on the beach face down close to the shore, with a broken neck. it was suspected that he had been diving off the jetty at low tide (see what liquid confidence does to you!)

anyway, they weren't allowed to move the body until the NSS came and inspected the scene.. it would take at least an hour for them to get to the island. so they covered him with a tarp.

by this time it was 08h00am.. guests were starting to rise and take walks on the beach... to keep them away from the area so they wouldn't see what happened, they put two guys on either side of the body about 25m up... with mosquito sprayers...

kept the guests well away for a while....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT