• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

mamba dissadvantages??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

azapa

51% freediver 49% spearo
Jan 31, 2007
okey, You guys have just about sold me on the Mambas, i have the home page bookmarked, Maorisub - Fucili ad aria e Kit, love the look of their rockwell spears, and have a trip to Europe coming in July.

I would like the kit to convert my Seac Asso 65 to mamba. But, what are the drawbacks?? Noise, wear, harder to load, too noisy, hard to keep clean, xxx thingy breaks too easily... please be honest tending towards critical.

I love my asso 65 for hunting between the kelp and rocks, but would like to start competing soon here. Should I try the mamba treatment??

Thanks!

no disadvantages so far..i just think for your case (given that its a pretty short gun and that you hunt in caves/rocks) maybe the mamba wont be the best idea..if the gun is too powerful you are more prone to get bent shafts etc...
just my opinion

no disadvantages so far..i just think for your case (given that its a pretty short gun and that you hunt in caves/rocks) maybe the mamba wont be the best idea..if the gun is too powerful you are more prone to get bent shafts etc...
just my opinion

...I fully agree with MARWAN....Mamba it's not for cave/rocks...you'll end up
bending shafts....usually mamba kid is fixed on long pneumatic to shoot fishes
in the blue.
Advantages:
1) Faster
2) More positive (neutral)
3) less pump strokes
4) More silent

Disadvantages:

1) Since it's faster you should load the gun with less bars otherwise you risk to break pistons and ammortizers as there is nothing inside the barrel,
(No liquids, no air, NOTHING AT ALL and the piston travels quickly..

thanks. To be honest, I don't open water hunt, but between the rocks I often have clear shots on skittish fishies though, thats where I want the straight/fast shooting. I want to buy two new spears anyways, as the factory ones are bad. I am gadget mad, and a kit is not too expensive. I like the idea of less loading pressure.

Does anything wear out quicker in the Mambas?? O rings, that buffer you mention??

Will the power control on the Asso's still have effect in the Mamba water free world?

Cheers

thanks. To be honest, I don't open water hunt, but between the rocks I often have clear shots on skittish fishies though, thats where I want the straight/fast shooting. I want to buy two new spears anyways, as the factory ones are bad. I am gadget mad, and a kit is not too expensive. I like the idea of less loading pressure.

Does anything wear out quicker in the Mambas?? O rings, that buffer you mention??

Will the power control on the Asso's still have effect in the Mamba water free world?

Cheers

....Mamba kit wears out orings (not so often) but they are standard ones so you'll find them anywhere.....the power control can be useful on shooting among rocks, bear in mind that it is still fast....

for a 65cm gun, save your money. I wouldnt buy a mamba. I own 4 guns with mamba kits installed. I also own a bunch of 70cm and 85cm guns that dont have mambas. Standard airguns at 85cm or less are usually for close range shots. And standard airgun has more than enough power. Now, 100cm and up its a different story. Mambatize those guns. :)

Btw adding a mamba kit adds 5 cm to your gun.

I read somewhere that a mambaized 70cm gun shoots 4 meters. I know someone with an 850 mamba - he says it shoots better than a 90cm eurogun.
Pneumatics are so maneuverable though I tend to agree with your logic. My cryano 970 is much smaller than my 90cm omer cobra - I can't feature really needing anything much shorter.

i have shot longer guns, i used a 120 band gun at the weekend, very accurate but hell to move around between the boulders, weeds and to poke in caves. for some reason (here at least) despite the same conditions/prey, people use very long guns. I honestly thinks its some macho thing. To point them into a cave and fire them, their hand is way back by their butts, and the band thwacks around their ears on the way by. (Good word thwack).

On my asso 65 the kit adds 5Cm (looks like more really) and the spear is 80CM. Thats already getting long.

I could keep the asso 65 as it is a splurge on the mamba 90, yummy, BTW, the loaded length of which is 112cm!

Cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT