• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mamba Question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fondueset

Carp Whisperer
Jul 27, 2004
I've been trying to get hold of our friend Asturven for some time now with no luck. I'm looking into these mamba guns and have a few questions.

First - How long a gun to shoot 5 or 6 meters? Second - I understand the kit can be ordered and installed after market - is it best to go this way or have it done at maorisub. Wht is the cost in usd? (I wrote maorisub - no reply :() What type of gun is best to get?

thanks!

I've been trying to get hold of our friend Asturven for some time now with no luck. I'm looking into these mamba guns and have a few questions.

First - How long a gun to shoot 5 or 6 meters? Second - I understand the kit can be ordered and installed after market - is it best to go this way or have it done at maorisub. Wht is the cost in usd? (I wrote maorisub - no reply :() What type of gun is best to get?

thanks!

Order it from maorisub. he will respond to you. It takes up to 3 days but he will respond. He can customize the gun for you. I like mares handle and trigger better than asso handle but thats my preference. How tall are you matters too on what size gun to get. If you are really short like 5'7, its harder to load a longer gun like 115cm asso. What kinda fish are you going for and how clear is the water? Give me more info and ill try to answer you asap.

It takes about a month to get the gun too from maorisub. Here are some videos of shane using a mamba.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks Greekdiver,

The water is very clear - right now visibility is sometimes 100 feet - during the summer usually 30-50. Fish are relatively small, soft and fast moving. I have a small gun - a riffe mt0 and an Omer Cobra 90cm - both shoot about 3-4 meters - though the omer has more power at that range. I would like a gun that is as small as possible but will shoot further then either of these so I could use it here and also for trips to the ocean where I would like to fish in open water. I am 6'1"

Thanks Greekdiver,

The water is very clear - right now visibility is sometimes 100 feet - during the summer usually 30-50. Fish are relatively small, soft and fast moving. I have a small gun - a riffe mt0 and an Omer Cobra 90cm - both shoot about 3-4 meters - though the omer has more power at that range. I would like a gun that is as small as possible but will shoot further then either of these so I could use it here and also for trips to the ocean where I would like to fish in open water. I am 6'1"

K, your height is really good. Loading will be easier for you. Im 5'11 but i workout a lot. Now, aiming with the mamba takes practice. I assure you its a pretty straight shot. Aiming with bandgun is far easier. Since the water is so clear, i would get a 115cm asso with mamba to shoot a 7mm shaft( 130cm long shaft) with mares handle. You can kill anything this gun. When i hit a small fish, it ends up on the mono. You will be shocked how quick the spear is released. If you want a shorter gun, you can buy a 100cm Sten or 90cm asso and put a mamba kit on that. I would go for a 115cm since the water is really clear. Oh yeah, adding a mamba to an airgun extends it about 5cm

I would say the mamba will shoot about twice as hard as your bandgun with a whole lot less recoil.

Go on Fondue you know it is your destiny, & besides you write so well I cant wait for your reports! :)

:) I really like my little Riffe and Cobra - and my stalking skills are good. But when I get close to fish I prefer to photograph them - so I need a longer range gun so I don't develop a personal relationship with the fish before firing. :inlove I was looking at a mamba 90 but am not sure how much farther it shoots than what I have. My little riffe shoots a 1/4 inch shaft with two 5/8 bands and almost no recoil. It is quite difficult to aim if you try to hold it on target and works best when I don't really aim but quickly point and shoot - then its very accurate.

I used a mid-handle pneumatic way back in ancient times when coelacanth's and pleseasaurs roamed the teaming waters of Lake Michigan . Pteranodons would try to pluck us from the surface during breathups as we evaded the groping pseudopods of deadly carnivorous clamasaurs . Those were heady times and all that stood between a man and almost certain danger was his trusty pneumatic and the clawhammers we used to pry off squid tentacles. If you stayed to long in one place barnacles would swarm you like metal filings on a magnet. Man it hurt ripping those off - but it was the kind of pain that makes men of boys.

Last edited:
I have a mares spear gun, but I cannot fire it!!.whats wrong with my gun can any one explain it to me. I have compressed enough air into the gun and checked for any air leaks but no success PLEASE someone help.

If the gun does not fire there may be two reasons, (1) the trigger pin is not pushing the firing lever up far enough; solution: in the trigger there is a hole where you can adust the height of the trigger pin (using a small flathead screwdriver), turn it clockwise to raise the height and see if you get the gun to fire. Try this a couple of time to see if you can get the gun to fire.

(2) The second reason is that the trigger pin is out of alignment with the firing lever, this would mean you would have to realign the firing pin. This involves stripping down the gun and aligning the trigger pin and firing lever.
Hope this helps!:t

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT