• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mandy-Rae 88m New WR

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Good one Sebastian :thankyou

Indeed Egypt may not be a fair comparison because of the low costs there, but Sweden (or more Scandinavia) is regarded as one of Europes most expensive areas and look what they are able to do !!!!
Multi days pro setup at very low costs for the competitor. 125 Euro is more doable and I bet lots of "" elite" freedivers will compete there.

Later the Nordic deep will probably also be very affordable and still very proffesional.

I think the only valid variable I have heard is the end goal of the organisers. Is it to make money / to make a living from or not. Nothing wrong with that of course (so don't get me wrong) but lets keep it in the right perspective.

p.s. I remember a similar discussion about the latest WC in egypt whem the prices got out. Only there it was including hotel stay etc and massively more complex and expensive in organising compared to a 10 athletes comp.

Hi Sebastian,

How do you manage to keep your costs down? I'm assuming because you stage the open water comp from shore? That's nice!

In Vancouver, I know we have a minimum of 4-6 people for competitions because renting a boat large enough for a deep water competition (not including the boat to ferry divers back and forth) costs upwards of $600 the last time I checked.

Pete

There is also a smal thing that it was an AIDA ranking comp. and it wasn't announced on the AIDA int. website until the first day of the comp.

I saw it on the AIDA website a couple weeks in advance, I noted it because AIDA listed it both as a CAFA and USAA competition. It was not announced on the USAA network until send an email out after finding it on the AIDA calendar.

Peace,
Glen

Hi Sebastian,How do you manage to keep your costs down? I'm assuming because you stage the open water comp from shore? That's nice!Pete
The deep dives are done from boats, as seen on this photo:
Fridykning
We can offer safe 80 meter dives or even 90 if we get a good weatherwindow (but its awfully dark and cold down there). Timo Jattu might just take a look down there.

Moneywise Nordic deep is possible because of a team of persons working for the sheer pleasure of being part of the event. My uncle and cousin shows up with a boat, my mother cooks, Gothenburg apnea society shows up safetydiving. The FSE team has been part if this for three years:
Avancerad fridykning
Hanli Prinsloo comes all the way from South Africa, Martin Muller comes from Berlin just to safetydive. Things like that makes it possible. And off course support from SUUNTO, ELIOS, SPORASUB, GREATH EARTH, WATERWAY - giving prices.

We have a good place to stay all in one house and depths and pool close by. All played out in the best of scandinavian summer.

Sebastian

PS. Since this is "Mandys thread" I will take the opportunity to confess that I thought she didnt have it in her. But wrong was I - now Natalja has some competition, good. And as someone else said - nice to be in a sport where a man can have some female rolemodels.

Last edited:
Reactions: glennv
Well done Sebastian. You do a great job there with lots of very motivated people and I hope to attend one of your events soon (maybe next year) , when I finally get some free time on my hands.

p.s. Hopefully we see some videos soon of Mandy's amazing dive. BIG RESPECT !!!! Now it's Natalias turn again ;-)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT