• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mandy-Rae 88m New WR

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
That depth is simply breath taking Mandy. You are a wonderful inspiration to all of us girls. What's next?

hey guys - cut the "what's next?" "who's gonna do 100m?" stuff and let Mandy revel in this for a while - it's fantastic, let's just enjoy it without always push push pushing......

S

Oh Yes! Mandy-Rae beat her old world record (and PB?) in a competition by 10 meters!!! That is indeed really impressive! Congratulations!!!!!!

I was one of Mandy's safeties on the dive (counter and counter-balance release clutch operator), it was AWESOME to see it from a front row seat (and to be a part of history!)!

Todd

As a macho lad from Australia it is a great thing about this sport that i can have female heroes/idols. Great on a sporting aspirations and personal development level.

Way to go Mandy-Rae, 88m is deeeeep!!

Last edited:
Woohoo Mandy - huge congrats from San Francisco!

strike one up for the ladies - the girl's got it.

this is great news and very cool - I for one am inspired.

cheers,

francesca

p.s. While browsing for the record video (could not find it yet) i stumbled on this :

Cost: $495US and includes CAFA/USAA sanctioning fee, four days of competition, evening introduction social, awards ceremony and CAFA & USAA members sanctioning fees.

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is some hefty fee. Freediving for the elite only ???? Or do you get your own weight in gold as first price

congratulations on the new record. having "just about managed" 15M at the weekend I can only be in awe at your achievement. I can't imagine what it must feel like to turn at that depth and kick for the surface.....way to go!!

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is some hefty fee. Freediving for the elite only ???? Or do you get your own weight in gold as first price

My initial thought too, but then again, where is it specified that all competitions should be run on a negative budget?

I mean they had like 10 competitors, which makes for 4950$. It's not a huge sum if you consider hauling all that gear and crew to the Caymans, feeding and lodging a support team (even a rather small one) for 4+ days. Renting boats, gasoline, insurances, permits, safety divers...Not to mention they are trying to scrape a living out of running PFI, or I would imagine at least dream of such days. Throw in a prize or two, and I'd say it's not altogether unlikely, that they ended up loosing money and most of the crew still were volunteers who paid most of their way themselves.

I certainly like competitions and events run no-profit by a group of volunteers. But I would not mind seeing more professional events either, where the crew actually got paid, or at least their costs covered, prizes were real and why not, the entering fee a bit higher too. What's wrong with having a competition for "just the elite"? Not every event needs to be for every one. There are certainly enough freebie events for everyone to participate.

Now some might speculate, that the fee was put high on purpose, to keep the event small. Maybe, but what's wrong with that?

Mandy-Rae, congratulations! How does it feel to find one's place in the history of a sport?

I certainly like competitions and events run no-profit by a group of volunteers. But I would not mind seeing more professional events either, where the crew actually got paid, or at least their costs covered, prizes were real and why not, the entering fee a bit higher too. What's wrong with having a competition for "just the elite"? Not every event needs to be for every one. There are certainly enough freebie events for everyone to participate.

Hmm , competing just for the elite just doesn't sound right/fair if done on purpose to keep others out :rcard . If done just for profit , no problem i can live with that and makes good business sense. (I am not suggesting in any way that this comp was done either way)
I guess it is some sort of self regulating system. If you get enough competitors that are willing to pay that hefty amount, it will work and in the end you can start making your living from organising these type of events. But I can not imagine there will be very much freedivers in the long run that are willing to pay that much money a couple of times per year to be able to compete in their sport .
I guess for just the registration fee I can probably fly on a holliday to egypt , get a decent hotel and join one of Lottas event for 4 days and still have some left for a cappucino rofl

Time will tell..........

There is also a smal thing that it was an AIDA ranking comp. and it wasn't announced on the AIDA int. website until the first day of the comp.

Well I still don't see a problem. We allow people in competition by nationality (national only competitions), and we have invitation only competitions, we have competitions where you need to qualify, and some where you don't (like the WC, now there's "elite only"). I just don't see how someones financial situation is different from let's say nationality.

I think it is rather obvious that the record didn't just accidentally "happen" on this small competition - the question is - is there anything wrong with that? By the current rules - no.

As for not announcing the competition on the AIDA website, if it was because the comp was never registered - then I guess we'd technically have a problem. But it might also have been for example a simple human mistake by the webmaster. At least it was announced in deeper blue months ago.

Last edited:
Renting boats, gasoline, insurances, permits, safety divers...most of the crew still were volunteers who paid most of their way themselves.

Speaking as one of the three safety divers, we were all volunteers. All three of us (and all of the student competitors, for that matter) were already in Grand Cayman for various PFI courses (I was the ONLY student in the Advanced course that DIDN'T compete! Oh well, next year..). The courses ended on Friday, and the competition started with pool events on Saturday, leading up to the main event (Mandy's dive) and the start of the open water competition on Sunday. Grand Cayman is a pricey little island, and a $495 entry fee to cover costs is not unreasonable at all... :)

Todd

Hmm , competing just for the elite just doesn't sound right/fair if done on purpose to keep others out . If done just for profit , no problem i can live with that and makes good business sense. (I am not suggesting in any way that this comp was done either way)
I guess it is some sort of self regulating system. If you get enough competitors that are willing to pay that hefty amount, it will work and in the end you can start making your living from organising these type of events. But I can not imagine there will be very much freedivers in the long run that are willing to pay that much money a couple of times per year to be able to compete in their sport .
I guess for just the registration fee I can probably fly on a holliday to egypt , get a decent hotel and join one of Lottas event for 4 days and still have some left for a cappucino

Glenn,

Lotta's set up is an elite set up. The Europeans and North Americans and others from more developed countries are taking advantage of currency exchange rates and standard of living differences to have fun in competition for so cheap.

Freediving competition is a sport for the middle class. Just like most modern sports. If you really want to have a competition that is for the masses, why not have a no-equipment, unassisted comp where the goal is not depth but some other task or goal so that those people who can't afford a safety system are not disadvantaged. ;) Something like a "coin retrieval" competition, where a man of the cloth throws a coin into the ocean and you race other divers to retrieve it without the aid of a mask or fins. Now that would be fun. Or throw several "coins" in the ocean and the diver with the most recovered coins wins.

I think $495 is entirely reasonable given the number of events and the other perks. I hope that the volunteers who were there felt acknowledged for their efforts! If Todd's remarks are any indication, they were. :)

Pete

I think $495 is entirely reasonable given the number of events and the other perks. I hope that the volunteers who were there felt acknowledged for their efforts! If Todd's remarks are any indication, they were. :)Pete
Or go to Sweden and compete in 8 disciplines in the same competition for 125 euro :)
Fridykning tävling

Sebastian
Sweden

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT