• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Manitoba Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Crusible

The Great Northern Diver
May 8, 2008
This summer I plan on doing alot of spearfishing in Manitoba, since I live here. Does anyone know any good spots with clear water?

I wish I could help- what we've done here in Alberta/Saskatchewan is look online for scientific sites, topography maps, anglers' forums etc and then get out and do some recon dives. Sometimes it's a bust and you go face-first into a slough, so I try to line up 3 or 4 lakes if possible.
Please post if you get some good results!

Thanks ill dig around google and try to find some stuff. What do you punch in to search. Like "good fishing lakes, topography maps in Manitoba" stuff like that?

Yup, like that. Hopefully you have some luck. Certainly enough lakes to look through there!

Bumping this because I'm wondering what's legal to spear in Manitoba- if anything?

I understand that spearing in Ontario is illegal- which is too bad because that's the closest Province to me, but Manitoba wouldn't be that much further away.

Jon

wonder if anyone's tackled one of those monster red river catfish on a snorkle yet? ;)

Reactions: Jon
Paint Lake (just south of Thompson) is fantastic for the walleye, although I've only caught 'em on a line. most of the lake is 30-50 feet deep though, and it's clear - and warm enouh that I've swam in shorts in high summer. I like 'em Fish'n'chips style battered with shake'n'bake. Also lake Winnipegosis at Grand Rapids has easy access, and BIG northern Pike. They're bony, but tasty, and on a line fight like the devil. look in the reeds in 30 - 40 feet for the big 'uns. Farther south things get pretty muddy though...

Apparently the law has changed in Ontario- spearing is now legal.

Do you have any details on that Erik?

Ontario would be a lot closer drive for me.

Jon

Pretty much everything is legal in Manitoba. The only few things are bass or any sort, muskey, sturgon, artic char, and i think a few others

I'm not a spearo myself but my best guess would be that somewhere in the ELA (Experimental Lakes Area) of Northwestern Ontario would be ideal. I've been through a number of the lakes around there and some of them are crystal clear for at least 30 feet. Anyone else have experience there?

I'm not a spearo myself but my best guess would be that somewhere in the ELA (Experimental Lakes Area) of Northwestern Ontario would be ideal. I've been through a number of the lakes around there and some of them are crystal clear for at least 30 feet. Anyone else have experience there?

That's a good place said my friend .... but i personally never visit that place ..

northern western manitoba such as duck mountains prov park have trout and walleye lakes. They are clear enough most likely. I have yet to begin to spearfish(just working on my first pole spear at home) so I dont know how much mustard my comments make but I have line fished there. Childs Lake lodge is a cottage rental site very close to all the nice lakes.

I know I'm about a few years late on this thread haha but if anyone is still reading this, seech lake which is just north of highway 45 is a great spearfishing lake. super visible up to 15 feet on a good day and stocked with many walleye, pike, and suckers.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT