• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Manufacturer of mid-handle mechs?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mikko

Gear nut
Jul 10, 2003
Hi guys,

I'm sure this is the best place to get the piece of info I need.

Who manufactures mid-handle mechs?

I'm sure there are many around, but all are hard to find.
Pros and cons of the products would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mikko

Mechs? Do you mean triggers? If so there's Riffe, Daryl Wong, Internet custom spearguns and Steve Alexander. These are all American mechanisms obviously but my husbanr tells me that any encased euro trigger could be used by sawing off the end of the actual trigger and using a push rod to operate it remotely (have a look at Steve Alexanders site for a picture).
Im quite interested in this question, I recently bought a mid handled gun (and I thought I was unique rofl) I havent been in the water with it yet but so far I'm very impressed with its balance and general comfort; so does this mean you are thinking of stocking these parts and even American shafts?

I have not seen Riffe mid-handle mech anywhere. Also, the others you mention do not have mid-handle mechs off the shelf.

I'm looking for this mech for a high power gamefish gun. I doubt that the euro mechs with mostly plastic parts would take the loads on a long run. Also, this is for a proto that will go into production if it works and looks nice....cutting open some mechs is not an option when in production.

I have actually found a standard mech that I'm pretty pleased with. I think that I'll simply need to come up with my own slide system. Which will be fun for sure.

We will most likely come up with ZA/US style shaft hybrid in near future. Main idea would be to take advantage of the superior steel used by sethefrekens and the sharktab system used by yanks. Sliptips will also be available....the ZA style ones with very little play and nicer pricetag.

Thanks,
Mikko

The US trigger mechs just need a little cutting on the exposed trigger itself. It's pretty quick, and it allows for any height gun you want. If your looking for a midhandle trigger that doesn't need to be trimed their out there too. Yokooji(sp) makes one which can be seen at www.hanapaahawaii.com. Riffe also makes a dedicated midhandle trigger which has a short bar replacing the trigger. It's the same one that's in his midhandle lines. I haven't seen them listed, but shoot them an e-mail at www.speargun.com. That being said I've used a riffe midhandle trigger when I built my first gun and I will get/modify a standard American mech. next time b/c it allows for the most flexibility.

Thanks. I think that I have this issue sorted.
I simply need to get a simple slide system done. As said the mech I have is more than fine.

Many thanks,
Mikko

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT