• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Many Thanks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bam bam

Sep 22, 2001
I'd like to start by saying a big thanks to everyone who helped with this event, for if was a superb effort.

particular mention (for me) has to go to:

Dave Harries; who helped me throughout the comp by being my trianing buddy. For his unselfishness at pushing me beyond the british reacord which he only set 2 hours before!

The Japan team; for thier very genourous gift

Panos; with his insight to competitions.

Peter S(USA); for the rope, even though it was measured in feet:duh

Could go on, but would take too much space!!!
then everyone else for making such fun.

Untill the next one see you later

Bam bam

....I'd also like to thank:

1) Kirk Krack and his team for pulling off a superb performance,

2) Mexico for causing the Friday hangovers with the abundant tequila supply

3) All the teams for their good humour and friendliness, but in particular New Zealand

4) The people of Vancouver, who must be the most helpful and hospitable on the planet.

A competition I'll never forget :)

Mark H

Great thread folks...

I'm going to try and keep this as short as possible but fail miserably. I'd like to thank (in no particular order):

1) Kirk Krack for even thinking of running the event

2) The Organising Committee (Kirk, Mandy, Pete, Tom, Perry, Helen and Greg) for their support and hard work over the year prior to the event and the sheer madness of the 2 weeks itself!

3) All the volunteers (FreeDivers or not) for the time and effort they gave to let the athletes have such a good time

4) The Judges and Jury for their dedication and hard work

5) Gareth for being a good friend, excellent photographer and even better drinking buddy who proved that you really can work on no sleep

6) Tim for his truly amazing photos and trying his best to keep us on the straight and narrow

7) Sam Kirby, Pete Scott, Matt Charlton and Jen Housely for contributing (and continuing to contribute) to the editorial around the event

8) Brent for putting us up on the first night

9) Jennifer and Yehia for their support and friendship

10) The whole UK team (Sam Kirby, Sam Still, Dave King, Dave Harries, Mark Harris, Anne-Marie Kitchen Wheeler, Hannah Stacey, Sue Pugh, Zoe Hall and support crew of Laura Harris and Matt Kitchen) for providing several nights of amusement, cheer and friendship.

11) Panos, Alex, George and Yannis for being great flat-mates and putting up with our antics at various early mornings

12) Kaz for just being himself

13) All team mascots

14) Members of the Canada, Colombia, Germany, Greece, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, UK, USA and all independents for attending the event and making it a true World Championship!

15) Finally the whole freediving community for being such special people who follow their passion of the underwater realm

Finally i'd like to say an extra special thank you to the Police who broke up our "after-after" party.

There are so many people involved with the event that I can't possibly mention them all, however you are all in my thoughts and am looking forward to seeing you all in the future!

Reactions: samdive
OK - it's going to get boring if we all write the same names.... so I would like to thank ALL the above AND

1) Peter Longfins for being a good mate whenever required
2) Matt Briseno and Annabel for wise words of advice on Friday morning
3) John and the whole Kiwi team for being such a good laugh and showing us all that we can be really good freedivers without being completely up our own bottoms about it
4) Peter Scott and Perry for being a lot less scary than I thought they would be from their Deeper Blue personas (I didn't meet Eric!)
5) Tanya for keeping the judging real and the meetings timely
6)Fourth Element and PADI for sponsorship
6) Various people of Vancouver who had to cope with my complete lack of navigational ability as I tried to make my way from UBC to SaltSpring Island via Nanaimo and back again

of course many many thanks to the UK team, Matt K and Laura and well done the lot of you!

Sam x

Sam,

What were you doing on Saltspring island??

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

I have some family there and had not seen them for 15 years so really had to get over

it was a great trip - ferry over and sea plane back

and about 5 swims in the sea in 24 hours.

Sam

"Tim for his truly amazing photos and trying his best to keep us on the straight and narrow"

Hey Tim - next time try a bit harder!!

I just want to say thanks for all the stories, perspectives, and general goodwilling people I interacted with. It was a pleasure to be a part of this event in the capacity that I was. It confirmed my feelings that this activity has no reason to breed anything but a fantastic community, filled with good natured people that are keen on relating to each other in whichever aspects they can discover.

You all made me very pleased to spend a chunk of my valuable summer away from home. For those that have known me for a while, they will understand that means quite a lot to me. Look forward to seeing you all again soon.

I hope we all witnessed that even with our differences in opinions and outlooks, we all are trying to improve on the sport for the community in general, and when we focus and work together, it all comes together for the better.

Best wishes for the future.

Tyler Zetterstrom

Last edited:
Reactions: AltSaint
I just want to say thank you to everyone!!! It was a great competition and it was a pleasure to meet so many nice people from all over the world… It was very interesting to meet the deeperblue crew... I enjoyed talking to Peter Scott a lot, hope to see you soon... and also meeting the man I had known already by "a few posts" Eric Fattah...
Thanks a lot especially to all the volunteers who made it what it was…, Tom

Reactions: DeepThought
Yeah,
I want to do this to so here goes:
Thankyou to all of you especially my team (UK) the milk challenge crew (Sam S and Dave H), Matt KW for filming it all, Eric Fattah and the Greek crew for helping me with the first dive in B.C., Japanese team for being such genuine people ( arigatou), and all the rest of you including Kirk, Kaz Annabel,Matt B, Team Mexico (a great laugh) and Cody!
Cheers guys, hope I amke the next one.
Dave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT