• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Map idea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jee

Jan 25, 2005
Hi,

Idea 1: I just thought, that DeeperBlue could have a Map (of the world, perhaps zoomable on some regions), on which the members could put on their actual place, where they are.

This could be the graphical interpretation of the Location field, which is present at the User data.
Every user could put a mark of her/his locaion on the map.

Idea 2: also - if we have a map - anyone could put marks on diving spots, perhaps with some notes describing the place (the lake, the beach, ..).

I think both ideas (on one or two map) would be cool. :)

what do you think about it?
Jee

DeepThought said:
I think it is a nice feature to have but may require some work...
Sure. :)

DeepThought said:
On the other hand, 1 DB member has already made such a site:
http://freedivingspots.net/
Yeah, I remembered that site, which is nice, but doesn't show the spots on a map :( and ths freedivers there are only bound to a country, not to a place, and so they are not shown on the map also.
And one more thing: they are not the DB members, whom you more or less know.

Actually, you are right, if that site would be extended wit hthose functions (spots on a map, freedivers on the map, DB memberids shown for the freedivers [I don't know if the owner of the page wants that or not], and a direct link to the page fro DB), than it would be something I imagined.

Jee

Spots are on the map, just not google-earth kinda accurate. :)
And I think there is a "who dives in that sport" field somewhere.

Ok, now I could see that, but still, no DB ids. :) and that would be the point.

So Idea 2 is done nicely, but idea 1 would be cool to implement.

Probably an easier method would be to have a list of countries with the DB members that want to be listed under the country that they live. These members would then have their own web sites showing their location and pics of dive sites, accomodation, local dive shops or in fact anything relating to diving.

Of course there would have to be a link from the DB website to the members website.

A code next to the members name ie FD freediver SF spearfishing.

This could help anyone planning a diving holiday or just for interest.

Zeah, then it would be the task of the users to show their country, to create the webpage.

Google has a nice thing like that for a group of people... I will look into it. Some car forums I have seen have this and its pretty neat. It pin points your exact location exactly like what you wanted.

I'll look into it :)

Stephan Whelan said:
I have the code to implement Google Maps like the following: http://www.xboxusersgroup.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php?do=showmain

I don't have a huge amount of time to do this at present but we may be able to implement something pretty soon.

The link posted by Huan works great. Its that same idea where it adds like a pin to where you are located. Its already running you just need to add your name to it.

I'm going to addmyself to it now.

Yup - but i'm going to implement the code right here onto DeeperBlue so you don't need to leave the site to use it :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT