• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mares Cyrano 1.1 HFT suggestions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FrostyToes

Sep 28, 2021
Hello again finned compatriots!

Seems like I'm settling on a Cyrano 1.1 HFT (120cms) for my next gun. The ergonomics, stainless trigger and line release just scream quality. I prefer a vacuum muzzle conversion initially, but the possibility to quickly swap it back if the spear gets buggered during a trip is an attractive one.
As I plan to trek down on holiday to my home country of South Africa whenever the travel situation cools down, it would be sweet to have a gun that can handle the local fish whilst still coming to good long range use up here in Norway with our crystal clear visibility during winter...

So for those in the know:
  • Can I use THIS vacuum muzzle to convert it to a "Vuoto", what other components are needed?
  • Will the 11mm barrel handle a Salvimar 17-4PH 7.5mm spear? Such as THIS (in 130 or 145cm?)
  • Any recommendations for a good reel?
Sure a Predathor may just be the ticket straight out the box, but I plan to keep this one a while and really use the heck out of it, might as well stave off the old buyers remorse and purchase the prettier toy first time round...

Peace to all!

Reactions: marco15499
Don't bother with the 11 mm version, you can get a 13 mm, but it will not have the hydroformed tank. Hydroformed tanks are a complication that pneumatic guns don't need unless it expands the tank volume such as in the Pelengas “Magnum” guns. Salvimar make a vacuum muzzle for a number of different brands. Mares blotted their copybook with the Cyrano Evo and the metal trigger and line release was a salvage job to get rid of the gun's line release busting problems. The Salvimar grip and trigger finger guard is slightly larger than that of the Evo and all its parts are made in Italy, something that may not be the case with modern Mares as at one time their guns looked to have parts made in China (when Mares owned Sporasub).

Reactions: stefpix
Thanks Pete.
Well then, you have me convinced that the 1.3 Cyrano 120 is the better bet!
I've read some less enchanting info about the Predathor, mainly to do with trigger pull and bad reels etc - so I'm thinking with the necessary upgrades one will end up almost as pricey as a Cyrano 120. I really like the offset barrel on my Saetta, in fact I like almost everything about it except for the line release, hence my erring towards a Cyrano as that seems like a sturdier build of the same thing. Current price for Cyrano 120 vs Predathor 115 is basically the same now on scubastore.com, so given that; would you go Cyrano?

Cheers for all the assistance you give out on here, great to have a veteran of the sport chip in!

Given that Salvimar pneumatic guns are 7 cm longer than their size designation the 115 model is really a 122! The table below shows the respective shaft lengths, the Mares is 2 cm longer which makes little difference. Down to personal preference which one you choose, Mares created a new gun with the Evo model (which they had to fix) and Salvimar rejigged a proven gun with the Predathor using the guts of the Scubapro Magnum, later Vintair.
Predathor Vuoto and Cyrano later model sizes.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff. I'll add a shaft for the Predathor 115 to my basket then. Seems like the 13mm Salvi vacuum muzzle has disappeared from scubastore.com, hopefully only momentarily. I enjoy a good tinker so I'll keep waiting for it to reappear before I place my Cyrano order...

Gosh darnit. I can't wait, water is too darn clear and pretty. Think I'll go for the Predathor 130, damn thing is cheaper than the 115 currently :ROFLMAO:

I have the mares cyrano 1.1 hft. 90 wp. No regrets. though quite apprehensive when landing amberjacks as the 7 mm shafts tends to bend.
Also, spare piston for this model is not available here. Have to order it specifically. Over all performance, excellent. Downer for this is that, the accompanying hand pump, well it leaves much to be desired. so what I did was convert the fitting to accept a refrigerant hose, and charged it through nitrogen bottle. I keep the charge at 25 bars. Happy hunting.

Hello again finned compatriots!

Seems like I'm settling on a Cyrano 1.1 HFT (120cms) for my next gun. The ergonomics, stainless trigger and line release just scream quality. I prefer a vacuum muzzle conversion initially, but the possibility to quickly swap it back if the spear gets buggered during a trip is an attractive one.
As I plan to trek down on holiday to my home country of South Africa whenever the travel situation cools down, it would be sweet to have a gun that can handle the local fish whilst still coming to good long range use up here in Norway with our crystal clear visibility during winter...

So for those in the know:
  • Can I use THIS vacuum muzzle to convert it to a "Vuoto", what other components are needed?
  • Will the 11mm barrel handle a Salvimar 17-4PH 7.5mm spear? Such as THIS (in 130 or 145cm?)
  • Any recommendations for a good reel?
Sure a Predathor may just be the ticket straight out the box, but I plan to keep this one a while and really use the heck out of it, might as well stave off the old buyers remorse and purchase the prettier toy first time round...

Peace to all!
Hi,

I will answer with more detail later when I have time, but get this vaccum muzzle instead. The rubber seal last longer:

Regarding the shaft, I had the 7.5 mm and even if it has more penetration power, at the end, it's better to stick with the 7 mm because the diameter difference betwen the washer and the shaft butt is so small that eventually they will stick together due to the impact. So stay with the 7 mm and you'll have mo problems.

The 13 mm barrel has some issues when yo pump it above 24 BAR. The 11 mm works very well. I've been using it for 7 years now without any problems.

Reactions: FrostyToes
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT