• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mares Pipin Attacks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Snappa

Mar 4, 2003
I just got some Pipin Attacks about two mounths ago, there made from carbon fiber, very easy to use flexy as, never get cramps.
But I'm prettty sure I'm to powerful for them, I have to kick like mad in strong currents or even when I just want to go fast, its very tiring.
Could anyone suggest a pair of fins for me?
I mainly dive around reefs to a depth of 15m, but I'm working on deeper dives.:head

The attacks have very little carbon in them. They are more fiberglass. I have never heard them called "flexi" before. They are more like plywood planks than fins...I say this b/c I have a pair(which are now gathering dust in a corner!). If you look back or watch someone swim with them you will notice thay only bend in the last 1/3 of the blade. You probably dont want anything "stiffer" per say but rather "more efficient".

As for suggestions, can you try the fins any of your buddies are using? No matter what suggestions you get remember that opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one but most of them stink;) Good luck.:)

Where did you get em'?

Snappa, Those fins were discontinued last year I was told. I got a spare pare right after that, in case one breaks. Where did you get them? That's all I use. They are terrible for surface swimming though.

Rigdvr, what size are yours? Mine are 44-46. Could use a spare pair to beat up in the pool. By the way, I think you're right about the last 1/3 bending. I saw a photo that Pezman took of Jim Glynn and myself in a pool, and he just happened to catch the power stroke. Never noticed that before. I'm hesitant to go to plastics. I heard they change resiliance over time.
Jim

I'll off the blades to you but I keep the pockets...I have a pair of radicals(sporasub) that the Attacks were based on and they perform much better over the length of the blade. I switch pockets on them depending on temp...44-46 with the booties and 42-44 without.

They are well used but it wouldnt take much to get them from me:D

Thanks heaps for the replys, I best be getting rid of them.
I'm looking at a pair of Sporasub Variants the ones where you can change the blades.
Are they any good, the carbon blade looks long as.
How much do they go for?

JerseyJim Attacks

Here's a pic of the Mares fins in action.

I tried them on once and liked them. My good ole Gara HF's seemed to accelerate a little better (about 10% advantage over the Mares for a 10 meter descent), but the Mares fins seemed better for cruising. They are also heavier than the Cressis (if I remember correctly) which probably makes them a little better for surface swimming.

p.s. Jim -- Note that I enhanced the pictures a little!

Attachments

• jerseyjim_attacks.jpg
    jerseyjim_attacks.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 386
How are they like from a side angle, like more rounded or straight from the bending point?

By the way, Happy Birthday Jim!! :D

Mares Pipin Attack bending

Thanks Loopy. They bend rounded, if that's what your asking. We'll have to get Mike to take some more pics from the side.
Mike, I recall comparing your Garras with my Attacks. I remember getting down to 40' in 10 seconds with mine, and the same 40' in 9 seconds with yours. I just worry about the plastics changing over time. I do however want to try different fins from time to time. An expensive testing process though.
Rigdvr, hang on to those blades. I'd like first dibs on them
:D

Jim

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT