• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Marlin for food

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kmo

Fish killer
Oct 31, 2005
No matter how impressed I am by the skill of bluewater hunters, I always cringe when I see a marlin shot. A lot of the guys say the would never shoot a second one too.

What gets me is that I've never heard of anyone eating marlin. Do marlin taste great, or do they use them for taxidermy or what? I don't mean any disrespect to the guys out there hunting game fish, but it does perplex me.

I have tried marli steaks in the carribbean, wasnt the best tasting fish in my opinion, but it was good. It was not very tender like i prefer and bit salty, maybe they didnt know how to prepare it very well.

i had a marlin fillet sandwich a few years ago back in Miami and it was supperb! KMO remember that those who activelly persue the fish are the ones that most contribute to its conservation and protection from fisheries....

I've heard marlin is kinda good smoked. And very dry otherwise. I agree that billfish should be caught and released. Although it's kinda hard to release with a speargun. They are a good fighting fish, but there are other fish out there better for eating.

Some friends of mine had some Marlin and said it wasnt worth eating but i dont know if they prepaired it properly.

One the old Spearing Marlin thing, In Western Australia there has never been a Marlin caught that has been taged.
Every Marlin that is caught is taged, and all catches are recorded but there is no record of a taged Marlin being caught.

The thinking is that the Marlin has too much lactic acid built up in its Body when its fighting for hours to get of the hook and when it is realesed it simply dies of lactic acid poisoning, some say of a heart attack caused by the lactic acid.

The only answer is to go back to useing heavy line and just pull the thing in
so the fight is shorter and dosent build up so much lactic acid, stress ect.

So Spearing a Marlin is actually better on least its over quicker for them.

Crusty

I rather enjoy marlin steaks. It's true that they tend to get pretty dry, but that is mostly because people overcook them. They should be cooked no longer than they are still pink inside... A lot like you would cook pork tenderloin.
Might I recommend serving them grilled, with a light mustard sauce and some fresh, new potatoes on the side? Yummie!

I have enjoyed eating Blue Marlin. Once in Sri Lanka, a few times in the Azores & once in the Cape Verdi Islands. On all occasions they tasted delicious however this was some years ago & personally I feel this may be a bit too controversial nowadays!

Last edited:
Dane said:
They should be cooked no longer than they are still pink inside...!

Indeed, I had some grilled steaks from the recently caught spearfshing world record blue marlin (301,2 KG) and they were good. But the white marlin's are a delicacy.

As for this marlin catch-and-release self-conciousness (nothing personal), despite the lack of scientific reseach, I say that common sense dictates that many tenths (maybe hundreds?) of released marlins die of fight-stress related complications compared to the few ever caught yearly by spearfishers around the world. As Terry says: "We release them before we catch them."

Hi, I can say that I have had thin slices of smoked Marlin in Mauritius and I thought it was incredible.
As for the ethics...well....I abstain from debate:t .

Smoked Marlin is fantastic especially striped.
Ethics, well just let me say that if you ever saw the back deck of a commercial pelagic longliner you would not hesitate for a second if an opportunity presented itself.
You would quickly realise that your one fish pales in comparison to the amount caught commercially.

it all depends on what marlin/billfish you are inquiring about. Blue's are good smoked, or eaten raw, and yes is very easily overcooked (hard and dry). The best billfish is the broadbill swordfish (shutome in hawaii). Very delicious and highly prized... excellent cooked in almost anyway, grilled, smoked, baked, etc. They taste better because they have a higher oil and fat content in the meat than other marlin do and have a richer flavor. Many of the gourmet restaurants here love this fish and try to get it when they can.

Hiya

People will eat ANYTHING!!!! I've read of people eating manta rays, dolphins and even sunfish (mola-mola)!!!:naughty :naughty :naughty

I shot a big stripey a couple of years ago and had it smoked - tasted bloody good in my opinion. Very moist and tender.

I don't plan on shooting another one even if the opportunity does arise, but that's just me. I don't have a problem with others shooting them as long as it doesn't turn into a slaughter, which is unlikely given how hard it is to find the buggers! I think people are a bit squeamish about the thought of killing them because they look cool, which is a fair enough sentiment but certainly not defensible in a political sense.

miles said:
Hiya

People will eat ANYTHING!!!! I've read of people eating manta rays, dolphins and even sunfish (mola-mola)!!!:naughty :naughty :naughty
What is the problem with eating with Mola mola miles?
Each to their own I say, although anyone eating one of those parasite riddled fish is either brave,stupid or REALLY likes the taste of sunfish.:yack

Spot on. But remind me to get a loan from Miles of one of his bungy bodyboards, a support boat and one hell of a deep breadth if my aim is off!:crutch rofl

Hiya

What is the problem with eating with Mola mola miles?

Huan, there's absolutely nothing wrong with eating sunfish(mola-mola), dolphins or manta rays.

Its just that i'm biased!! We tend to treat them as pets, or animals that brighten up a dive and really don't see them as food. In some cultures, eating cats, dogs and horses is normal, yet I find it despicable. Logically, they're no different to a cow or sheep which we all consume...............

Just airing my OPINION!!

Regards
miles

Pets vs Dinner

Indeed Miles. One of my favorite things to have in my face is a little, uh... kitty.

Hi All,
I am not a spearo but I have enjoyed Marlin (striped) both cooked (fish is easy to overcook) and smoked and jerked (dried). Liked it all.

Had one close encounter with a Marlin at the foot of the cliffs in Kealakakua Bay. Swam right up to me and looked me over.... it was a good vibe, then left.

I am moving to HI in a month or two and intend to start spearing fish for the freezer but I don't think I will be shooting Marlin.

I have come to the conclusion that everything deserves respect and that I am probably less important to the scheme of things than most of the critters I encounter. Sheep, chickens, horses, dogs, Marlin, dolphins, etc... they are all the same and not very different from us. So, either I can take fish for food with a clean conscience or I can't. My family are ranchers in Montana, I grew up around the meat business and I came to the opinion that there is something very wrong with all of it. I don't consume most packaged, processed meats. I have also been a hunter and hunted for food only and I am not certain about how right or wrong that is....fear and suffering is always bad.

I guess the angst arises because we humans understand mortality and our prey do not.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…