• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Martin Stepanek Crushing it October 3-9, 2011. Egypt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yes, after looking at the video again, you may be right that it is Sphera. On the first view it looked to be a different mask to me.

I'm on my phone so can hardly see but it looks to me like there are 2 different masks in that video :) (yet another conspiracy theory hahaha)

You sure that's not a Sphera? Looks like it to me. In any case, it must be nice to still have his no-mask card up his sleeve, though diving with a mask is potentially at odds with maximum reflex stimulation (which may be another card up his sleeve to draw later).

It's no secret his chest flexibility is one of his strongest weapons. One day at Honaunau under Martin's supervision I watched him do a very deep exhale dive. After surfacing he said "That was a good one...Felt my sternum touch my spine." I'm not so sure he was joking.

I've dove with him a few times and have seen some deep negative pressure dives with quite a few reverse packs to 20m..... crazy....

Also I'm sure his ability to use a monofin properly gives him an advantage making his dives much faster and therefore has more time on his side... I was safetying him from a 90m dive and he blasted me like a freight train...

No doubt he is a specimen...

Last edited:
Here is the update from Martin's facebook...

"So, I had a problem with my dive and experienced a sudden equalization issue forcing me to turn at 90 meters. It was probably an inner ear issue because no damage to the ear drum but I struggled with vertigo and throwing up for 1hr until it released. I apologize if I ever laughed at someone seasick, this was an equal experience and not one I would ever want to see a repeat of:)"

Last edited:
Reactions: Kars
Ouch, hope that resolves itself. Possibly a bit like Yasemin's accident?

Ouch, hope that resolves itself. Possibly a bit like Yasemin's accident?

Very likely similar-- and at least three divers (Rudi, Yasemin, and Stefano Makula) have blacked out way deep because of this problem. Martin is lucky that he didn't black out from the vertigo... Hopefully it won't reoccur.

Vertigo without eardrum perforation would suggest inner-ear barotrauma. This is something that really needs to be marked on the safety "radar" in future events ... atleast in comps where we start to have a lot of +100 m dives.

"

Inner Ear Barotrauma: This injury generally occurs when divers attempt to forcefully equalize their ears. This "hard" blowing over-pressurizes the middle ear and can result in implosive or explosive damage to the round and oval windows.

Signs & Symptoms: Vertigo, vomiting, hearing loss, loud tinnitus (a ringing or roaring sound in the ear).
Treatment: Place the injured diver in a sitting head-up position. Get the injured diver to medical help right away, preferably to someone knowledgeable in diving medicine since inner ear barotrauma may be difficult to distinguish from inner-ear decompression sickness.
"

DAN Divers Alert Network : Common Ear Injuries While Diving

Sadly this could mean big problems for Martins upcoming record attempts as injuries like these needs weeks to heal.

Last edited:
Reactions: trux
Extreme vertigo and then it stopped might suggest a blockage, hyperbaric vertigo, maybe not damage. No doubt someone will look at it and give him the best advice.

Its still a possibility he could try again. Good luck if he does

Now that's an argument against no-lanyard diving...

What would be the benefit of no-lanyard? I would think it would be better with the vertigo. At least you would be attach to an object that that is up and down. Also, Martin always has deep scuba present and that way they could just attach a lift bag to him and jet him to the surface...

That's just the way I see it... Of course, I would love to hear the other side..

EDIT. Sorry, I read you post wrong!!!

Last edited:
If I read correctly, Mullins statement was "There's an argument AGAINST no-lanyard diving."

What would be the benefit of no-lanyard? I would think it would be better with the vertigo. At least you would be attach to an object that that is up and down. Also, Martin always has deep scuba present and that way they could just attach a lift bag to him and jet him to the surface...

That's just the way I see it... Of course, I would love to hear the other side..

A friend of mine here (non-diver) had [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthitis"]Labyrinthitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] - exact same symptoms as described in this thread.
She was unable to drive, move her head suddenly, move her eyes suddenly and, at times, barely able to walk for a couple of weeks.

The speed with which Martin's resolved is interesting. It almost points to a temporary equalization problem that resulted in transient inflammation of the inner ear - or something along those lines.

On another note - I don't normally drink beer - nor do I normally have equalization problems (other than technique below about 40m). However a couple weekends ago I had some beer - and went diving the next day - my sinuses were whistling! Everybody knows dairy can contribute to equalization problems - but I think fermented grains - and probably wheat in general - should be on the radar.

The speed with which Martin's resolved is interesting. It almost points to a temporary equalization problem that resulted in transient inflammation of the inner ear - or something along those lines.

I´d rather go with the barotrauma approach.

repost:
"

Inner Ear Barotrauma: This injury generally occurs when divers attempt to forcefully equalize their ears. This "hard" blowing over-pressurizes the middle ear and can result in implosive or explosive damage to the round and oval windows.

Signs & Symptoms: Vertigo, vomiting, hearing loss, loud tinnitus (a ringing or roaring sound in the ear).
Treatment: Place the injured diver in a sitting head-up position. Get the injured diver to medical help right away, preferably to someone knowledgeable in diving medicine since inner ear barotrauma may be difficult to distinguish from inner-ear decompression sickness.
"

DAN Divers Alert Network : Common Ear Injuries While Diving
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oval_window"]Oval window - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

same thing, different cause. Thats what I was describing by a transient equalization problem - or something to that effect. Pretty much has to be barotrauma for sure.

True, and in any case all this is just guessing as we´re not able to look into Martins ear. :)

I belive inner ear barotraumas and the effect of pressure changes in the inner ear during freediving is something that should be better investigated.

"Riding the ears" has usually been considered only to cause injury to the ear drum. While this is true, it also has to be considered that the same pressure diffrence could also affect the inner ear mechanisms. Could perhaps even some of the Narcosis symptoms some experinence actually be related to negative pressure in the inner ear? or pressure diffrence between the inner ears? From what I´ve understood the "Vestibular system" is pretty delicate.

Whatever it is, I hope there is no permemant damage... I doubt there will be but I'm sure he's going to want to treat it in the most conservative and safe fashion... I don't know what kind of facilities Egypt has for these kinds of things.

Errol

Last update from Martin :-(. This comes from his World Record challenge

I wish him a speedy recovery... there's always a next time...

To my fans, sponsors, friends and fellow freedivers whom share the same passion.
I want to thank everyone whom has supported me and helped me during this event. As we mentioned in yesterdays update, I experienced a rather strange and very intense episode.
On my first day of the XTB World Record Challenge I was intending to break the World Record in Constant Weight of 125meters. My dive ended fairly shallow at 91 meters when my right ear failed to equalize. To avoid any damage or abuse that could potentially disqualify me from the rest of the event, I immediately returned to the surface. After a while I started experiencing a strong vertigo that lead me to very violent vomiting for 1 hour. It was a very unusual and exhausting experience.
A full examination of my ears and eardrums show no stretching, damage or abuse whatsoever. Neither do my sinuses feel this way. However, the symptoms of the incident suggest a potential problem with the inner ear. Due to such variables, and unknown, along with the recommendation of my Doctors, I will not be able to continue with this event till a more thorough examination such as an MRI & CT is achieved on my return to the Czech Republic.
It is most certainly one of the most disappointing and sad decisions of my life, but I have always believed that safety is paramount in our sport.
Martin

Last edited:
Wise decision. I was a bit afraid of the repeated attempt. I am sorry for the lost opportunity to break the records, but it is definitely better in this way, and I applaud his decision.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT