• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mask comparison (volume etc.)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nov 13, 2002
Hi!

There were some discussion which masks would be best for freediving. I found lots of useful tips there. So now I am looking for a web page which has good comparisons of the relevant masks, including data like the volume.

From other threads those masks seem to be most favorable:
Beuchat Mundial
Cressi Minima
Cressi Superoccio
Mares Mariner
Technisub Falco (Aqualung)

pi

(Here's a tip: if you're a high school maths teacher, don't bet any of your students that they can't remember pi to 50 decimal places :D)

There's a good description of each mask you mention in the DeeperBlue shop. There should be a link at the top of your page to it.

Cheers,

Brad

Nope, I am not a teacher, but a mathematician.

I've had a look at the shop, but it does not have a real comparison and I did not find all the volumes (e.g., look at the Falco mask). Also the list is so long I simply get lost;-)

pi

I did see a review somewhere in which somebody used sand to measure the actual volume of a pile of masks (maybe Rodales?). One of the Mares sites also gives a detailed description of all of THEIR masks by volume.
I can guarantee that the Minima has the least volume.
The Mares Target, Cressi Superoccio, and Sporasub Samurai are all the same, with substantially more volume than the Minima, but stll very low.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

I don't know about the Beuchat or the Mares mask, but I do happen to own the others.
The Minima has the lowest volume and the narrowest field of vision. The Superoccio has a little bit less voulume than the Falco- it's pretty close. The Falco has the best field of vision and a slightly larger volume.
I like the Falco for all of my shallow stuff, like hockey and spearfishing, but I use the Minima for anything deeper, like diving on the wrecks in Lake Michigan. The Superoccio stays in my drysuit's thigh pocket as a back-up for deep dives. I no longer use it for freediving.

Just my $0.02

Jon

Originally posted by Jon
The Falco has the best field of vision and a slightly larger volume.
I like the Falco for all of my shallow stuff, like hockey and spearfishing, but I use the Minima for anything deeper

Jon,

thanks for your information. How much do you consider "shallow"? My intention would be to use the mask for freediving and for SCUBA.

In another discussion you mention that the Falco has no distortion. Is this because of the shape of the lenses (are they planar -- I guess this is the wrong word, I am not a native speaker) or because of the material?

I try to find a local dealer to look at it, but this seems hard here in Vienna, Austria.

pi

The Falco has the same skirt as the Sphera, but it has GLASS lenses- thus, no distortion.

I mean less than 30' for shallow.

I have used my Sphera for hockey and spearfishing with good results. When I tried it with SCUBA I became dizzy from the distortion. I don't understand why there would be a difference, but there was. Maybe Eric F. knows why. Could it be caused by my own hypoxia?:D

The Sphera's plastic lens reminds me of wearing an AGA full face mask. The AGA has a plastic faceplate and the view is different than with a glass faceplate, but I still didn't get the severe distortion with it, like I did with the Sphera. :confused:

I know that the lcoal Aqualung rep told me that he didn't import them to the US because to many bubble blowers complained about the severe dizzines they experienced with them. I had to almost twist his arm to just order me one. In the future it would have been just as cheap to order it off of the DB shop.

Just my $0.02

Jon

Hello, I have used the super occhio, silicon, for both underwater rugby and freediving.
Have been free diving down to 25 meters with it and can really
recommend it. I usually have a problem with the top of my nose, or perhaps the bottom of my forehead touching the mask, causing
pain. The super occhio avoids that.

The sight angle is not huge but ok and it has stood up
to some serious abuse when playing underwater rugby.
Stopped playing for six years ago, still use them for freediving.

Claes.

Yesterday, I finally got my Falco. I took it to the pool and liked it:)) Of course, no depth experience so far. Thanks for all your opinions.

pi

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT