• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mask mod

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi,
I'm using a cressi superocchio as my hunting mask and I have a well known small problem!! "LEAKING" :mad: . It leaks from the lower part and disturbs me in the dives. After making some search about the mask in our DB, I found that Donmoore has already made a modification to his superocchio to get enhanced view. (Basically, Don cut the whole inner skirt of his mask to have a lower sitting mask position and therefore a wider field of view.)

After I talking with him about my leaking problem, we concluded that If I cut the top portion of the inner skirt, mask might fit more properly and stop leaking. The results are amazing :D now my mask seals like a gum and my vision increased. I advise strongly to all of you who have this kind of problem in his masks...

Thank you very much Don :)

here are some pictures to give you a clue...

Reactions: donmoore
last one

hope you enjoyed it :D

Attachments

• dscn0992.jpg
    dscn0992.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 349
Reactions: SurfnSpear
Great job Memo!

I don’t know if our reasoning is totally clear or not, but here is my take if it helps anyone. Memo and I concluded that if the lower part of his mask, which doesn’t have an inter skirt, was not sealing properly then it must not be contacting his face as much as other parts of the mask. By cutting the inter-skirt out on the upper part of the mask, maybe it would allow the mask to come in and put more pressure on the lower seal. Apparently we guessed correctly.

The extra field of vision was my reason for cutting the skirt, but a nice side benefit for Memo. After wearing the superocchio for two years and becoming very used to the old field of vision, I immediately notice the increase view every time I put it on. I have been doing a lot of dynamics since the mod and I absolutely love the increase in the forward/upper view. I don’t have to lift my head as high now to see the wall when nearing it.
don
:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: SurfnSpear
thats exactly what I tried to tell :) thank you again Don.

After about a year of leak-free use, my Mares Target began leaking where I think you're talking about: at the bottom right, where the bottom of my nostril "connects" to the face. Drove me nuts. Don't know why there appears to be those "channels" in the mask skirt down there where the inner skirt ends. Anyway, I bought a Superocchio and I'm once again 98% leak-free, though I still detect a small opening happening down there (bottom right), but I'm not getting any water up into the lens portion of the mask so things are much better.

Great solutions guys, (thanks for posting the pics) I think I'll take the now retired Target and cut the top of the inner skirt off as you showed! Or maybe I should cut the whole inner skirt off? I'll report back.

please read the other mask mod tread that Donmoore opened a while ago at the freediving equipment section. He cut the whole inner skirt and have some findigs about it basically saying, If you are narrow faced, than dont cut sides.

Cool! I just did this minor outpatient procedure to my Superocchio...

It used to fog a bit much and didn't seal as well as my Lince... so as stated in this thread and the 2 below, I cut the top "seal" as well as the bottom portions on each side... but having a narrow face, left the side seals intact.

It seems to seal better! In retrospect, I think the top portion was resting on my eyebrows and not providing a great seal.

I will try it out in the water tomorrow - but so far I think the change is great!

http://forums.deeperblue.com/freediving-equipment/39876-mask-update.html
http://forums.deeperblue.com/freediving-equipment/39876-mask-update-2.html

WOW. Night and day!

No more fogging at all... better seal and slightly better visibility with the mask sitting closer to the face!

This might be a solution to other masks that fog also. I suspect that eyebrows may be breaking the top seal of some other popular, "fog-prone" masks as well!

And for the record - mine aren't some 85yo wiry out of control brows... They're quite tame, actually. :)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT