• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mask Update

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi, Steve
Frankly speaking I don't know for sure.
But I think that narrow face wouldn't be a problem for this mask. When I was at the diving store, I have tried the Aries, the Abyss and the Aries 45. The skirts of the Aries and the Abyss were the same in size. The Aries 45's skirt was in a smaller way than the above-mentioned. My face is a little bit narrower than the average. The mask fit just fine.

I hope the above-stated helps you.
However, my advice is you to try it on in diving store. In my case when I put it on my face it became clear that this whis would be my mask.

Rgrds,
Peter

I've recently tried super occhio and I think its is a very good mask with very little volume. The side skirts applies even pressure to the face and I feel extremely comfortable with it :D. The only problem with it was some leaking but I dunno why it happened from time to time...

Mares X-Comfort mask

I didn’t give the X-Comfort mask a very good review on the first page of this thread, but I am starting to change my mind. I felt guilty that I might have slammed a good product, before I learned to appreciate its uniqueness.

I wore it and two other masks for about 45 minutes each at the pool the other day. When you first put the mask on, the field of vision is not impressive because the lenses are so far away from your face and it does not seem like it’s the low 85 cm3 that Mares claims. But the mask is designed like that so it will compress to the face as you go down, and thus not need as much equalization. Even at the 14.5 feet, deepest part of the pool, the field of vision greatly increased because of the compression, which brought the lenses in closer.

The other thing that is really noticeable is the comfort. When I first put it on I said yea, this is a comfortable mask, but I never had much problem with the comfort of other masks. But when comparing it with other masks while diving the comfort part really comes out. Wear it for 45 minutes and wear another mask for 45 minutes and then put it back on, and you will be shocked! I never knew what comfort was before this mask, and more comfort means more relaxation and more relaxation means longer breathholds and dives.

I bought it from Phil at http://www.divesports.com and he said he believed it is made of DOW Silicone 6300, which is a really soft silicone that only comes in black. The confusing part of this is that DiveInn shows a picture of the X-Comfort in black, but claims it only comes in Yellow-Clear and Blue-Clear. The dive shops in the U.S. are saying the X-Comfort only comes in black and the X-Stream, which is an identical looking mask, doesn’t come in black. DiveInn sells the X-Stream in black as well as clear, yellow, and blue. At my request, Phil put both a X-Comfort and X-stream side by side and said the only difference is the X-Comfort has noticeably softer silicone. I choose to buy it from Phil and pay more than DiveInn, because I at least knew what I was getting even if it cost more (Mares masks are already on the high side).

I believe the mask will lose more than ½ of its volume from compression which means you could go a little more than 33’ and the inside would still be at ambient pressure. I’m not very sensitive to negative pressure to begin with, the only reason I equalize is the pressure on the nose bridge from the mask skirt, so I am hoping to be able to get 60’ (19 meters) before I have to add any air. At which time the volume should be low.

This report is a little premature, but I didn’t want to leave the unfair negative earlier opinion I had written.
don

Sphera lovers.

For you Sphera lovers in the U.S. There is one on E-bay with 2 days left and no bids. It’s currently $10.00 plus $8.95 for shipping. Shipping seems a little high, but if you get it for $10 it’s still a great deal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3643292747&category=16055 Sammy :p

Last edited:
Does anyone know where you can get replacement lenses for the Sphera?

Aqualung doesn't have them, or at least won't sell them to the shops.

Jon

Reactions: thud
My belated two cents

I've always had a hard time with mask fit -- I have deepset eyes and tend to get leaks around the sides of the eyes.

A couple of years ago I went to Blue Water Hunter in Santa Barbara, California, and stood in front of their wall of freediving masks and tried a bunch of things on. I came home with an Omer Abyss and an Asia. The Abyss is a tighter fit, but has narrower field-of-view. The Asia is just a very slight bit more prone to leak, but it's more comfortable overall so I make do with clearing it every once in a while. So I most use the Asia.

I tried on Kirk's Sphera when I took the Performance Freediving clinic last spring. Alas, it has a hard plastic piece that hits the bridge of my nose, and was really uncomfortable. It's a shame, because it looks like a really cool mask. It does appear to scratch up bigtime, but as they say the scratches are invisible in the water.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT