• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mask Vrs Equilization

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

diver-marc

Nov 30, 2004
Hi - I'm just wondering if wearing different masks can effect your ability to equilize your ears? I was playing around with some masks at our local freedive shop and found that some masks were poping my ears without me doing anything just by puting them on?

Thanks,
Marc.

yes - some will be easier than others, some put the pressure against your nose almost automatically. I can almost, sometimes, do that in a super occhio - If you find one that equalises for you let us know which one it is so we can all try!

S

The mask is the Cressi predator - very small lenses - not a great spearfishing mask - purpose build for freediving.

Thanks for your responce Sam - I think I'll buy one :D

I was out diving Wednesday and was getting down maybe 13 meters - ears were going ok - have been staying away from dairy products - soy milk etc instead. Still thou my noise was bleeding like a tap which is the norm for me. So really I'm looking for anything that'll asist. I'll be over in Bath in 3 weeks - so looking forward to diving / training with you guys - hopfully we can sort out this equilization business once and for all!!!

Cheer's
Marc.

Hello Marc!

I think you should checkout the reason of the bleeding with a doctor! or do you already know? you should ask if you can freedive with that condition also!

Said

thanks mate - have seen a doctor - they all say the same thing - and I ain't interested in it.

The bleeding is from blood vessels bursting under the presure due to being clogged up. its just part of diving from me. I burst my left ear drum early this year due to blockage - buts whats the alternitive...... no diving! Thats not an option!!! I'll find my around this, just have to overcome this equilization business - I'll get it, soon........

Diver-marc, do decongestants and a no-milk diet help?
You've probably tried, but I feel your pain dude. Best of luck,
Erik Y.

I use sudafed and a nasal spray and also am off dairy products - that does help - I'm sure that all it is - is that I haven't yet really mastered the equilization tech. I have just pushed it too hard in the meantime. Due to having a bad tech - I think my tubes have stretched this allowing me to dive to the depth that I can (around 15 meters)

I'm gunna do another freedive course with Samdive in Bristol soon as I arrive in the UK in a few weeks - sooooooo hopfully we'll have it sorted then. I have done another course in Oz - but didn't help in that area.

Marc, did you ever do feet-first descents on scuba or freediving? If so, was there a problem then too?
If you've never done them, then you might want to try, to get a feel for the necessary speed of equalisation, etc.
I think that if I'd never done scuba first and learned how to equalise that way, I may be in the same boat as you.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

How exactly are milk products detrimental to equalizing, freediving etc.?

Milk products can encourage the production of excess phlegm... leading to congestion.

thanks guys for all the info - went out today - got down 15 meters with no pain - well went down head first until pain started then fliped over and let my feet go first being draged down by the weight - only problem is its too slow and took a minute just to do it - so it was a rush to the top for air. After a few dived like that I got sinus squeeze and had to pop another sudafed which seemed to work ok. So I know now that I'm equilizing to get that deep without pain - just have to sort it so I can go head first.

I managed a nice 3 - 4kg pariot today which I'm very happy about - we have a comp on the boat - whoever got the biggest fish got $5 from everyone else - I won :D

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT