• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Mask vs Goggles?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Apr 11, 2018
Hi guys - any thoughts on mask versus goggles? I read the article & it says wearing a nose clip & goggles promotes more relaxation & a stronger MDR...i always have relaxation issues...thanks for the feedback!

Fluid goggles are pretty freakin expensive, so I’d try out no goggles and a nose clip for yourself, see how you feel, and make that decision for yourself

Ok, so i've always understood "regular" air-filled goggles are dangerous beyond a certain depth. That's what i was wondering about. However, I probably won't be diving very deep at first, not beyond 50 feet certainly

Well there’s a huge risk of damage to your eyes with air filled goggles past a certain point, you’ll definitely begin to feel that squeeze by around 20 or 30 feet. With a mask you can equalize because of the nose pocket, but with goggles there’s no way to add air as it gets compressed.

Reactions: Richard Bender
Well for shallow stuff I just use a random scuba mask, I’m a bit strapped for cash so a new low volume one is a bit unrealistic for me. I just use a nose clip for deeper stuff, as I’m kinda fine with water in my eyes. Probably gonna invest in some fluid goggles eventually or make my own

A low volume diving masks isn't that expensive, for example, Cressi Super Occhio is one of the most classic and well tried masks and it only costs me around 20~25$ at a local retailer.
I used to use swimming goggles, but i was mostly doing DNF/DYN in the pool
And i already feel the goggles and mask exercising some pressure at 2~3meters depths.
You can fill your goggles with fresh water, i never tried it, but it might work (hard to do , but mb possible).
I didn't notice much difference between goggles and mask while doing DNF/DYN in the pool.

thank you for the excellent recommendation! i mostly do dnf/dyn in the pool also. all i have is goggles, i dont even have fins yet. i won't attempt to go any deeper than 15 feet or so without knowing how to equalize even in a mask. i was thinking of getting a nose clip and using that & goggles for DYN

Don't make it any harder than it really is, you won't learn without using a mask.
and it's easy anyway, equalization is hard depending on technic, valsava is easy, frenzel is moderate, VTO and mouth fill require training.
using those technics with and without a mask isn't much of a problem
The mask is made to not interfere with equalization, tho it requires a certain amount of air exhaled inside it when going deeper, don't make things harder than they really are, the 1st time i used a mask was last year in a pool, and it was no biggy, 10min of trying it and i got used to it.
The nose clip on another hand can be handy bc it doesn't require you to break your streamlined form when going deeper
But depends on how strong a nose clip is, some nose clips arn't strong enough to block some amount of air escaping from your nose
and when it's too strongly pinched, it will make your nose sore, so it can be an annoyance.
Also, if you rely from the get go on nose clips for equalization, you won't learn how to use your hands for EQ in CWT/CNF.

So is equalization hard or easy??? I'm confused... I thought that the only way to be able to see / equalize was to wear a mask when doing training for depth. This is the discipline i would like to pursue at least to a certain extent. I did not know those things about nose clips...i will keep that in mind if i decide to try one. I suppose i need to take a course, since i am quite slow when it comes to learning things like this

The technics differ, everybody can do valsava equalization, but usually only trained freedivers know to perform Frenzel equalization properly.
While VTO and mouthfill are advanced technics for AIDA3 certified freedivers, and is required for VWT, and +30m CWT.

Nose clips is about comfort, most swimming nose clips don't give enough pinch strength to perform an equalization hands-free.
While if the pinch to too strong, it makes your nose sore, and will be another source of discomfort in your dive, (another source of tension that you have to focus on to relax).

Reactions: Richard Bender
About the mask, try to find the smallest low volume mask that fits you, there are guides about how to pick a free-diving mask.
The mask being stuck to your face without using the straps tips helped me pick a tight mask that fits me without it being uncomfortable.
this is the mask i picked:

The technics differ, everybody can do valsava equalization, but usually only trained freedivers know to perform Frenzel equalization properly.
While VTO and mouthfill are advanced technics for AIDA3 certified freedivers, and is required for VWT, and +30m CWT.

Thanks. i'll try to look up vasalva as i do not know what that is (i am very ignorant)

Thanks. i'll try to look up vasalva as i do not know what that is (i am very ignorant)
google stage A and stage B freediver manual by apnea international, they are available for download unlike AIDA2 and AIDA3 manuals.
that will be a good starting point, then watch videos posted by freediver's channels, like Ian Donalds (freedive UK), Adam Freediver, Freediver Youbuur.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT