• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Masks. A question....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

porky

Phat not fat!
Feb 12, 2002
Ive been watching some vids and I have noticed that some free divers wear masks that cover the nose, some wear ones that just cover the eyes (like swimming goggles) and others wear the goggles with a nose clip. What is the difference?????

I assume those that do not cover the nose have to be filled with water otherwise you cant equalise the mask, is thios correct?

Cheers
Porky:confused: :confused:

tomato, tomatoe..

Hey P-man,

It's all what you're used to. The big push in minimizing the size of the mask is to reduce the interior volume that you have to equalize, less volume =less air to expend on equalization. Most freedivers, and I'm being VERY general here, go with masks that cover the nose to allow easy equalization of the mask and ears by pinching the nose shut and blowing. There are more masks like this available to the consumer and they're comfortable. And they come in all thorts of ta-die- fo colors! They are also what others see others wearing, so they must be correct...:confused:

Masks without nose pockets have been primarily for very shallow work, as in swimming laps in pools. The pressure on my orbs when merely bending over to initiate a dive is enough for me to toss em. There are masks and lenses that allow or require them to be filled with water that negate the need to equalize them and then adding noseplugs just frees up your hands to hang on to the down line. These are pretty cool once you get past the unnerving idea of them. But then again, participating in this sport to the extent that some of us do is just plain nuts. :duh

There are a couple other threads here in DBland that go into contacs and such...let's see if the mentor-types can hook you up.

sven

nose plugs

sven,

are there nose plugs(not clips) out there? i'm looking for some for my uwhockey.

gratze,
andrsn

get your fingers outta there first.

The couple of times I ever bothered w/nose plugs, I made them with silicone from molds I made from my nostrils. Give Douglass & Sturgess, on Bryant St. in SF, CA a call. They're the major supplier of artsy casting and mold supplies for Hollywood and such and they've got the freeby info sheet they'll fax you. Order a quart and you'll have enough to cast your own purely custom mask as well.
Be prepared, it ain't cheap but you'll only be using a bit.

Order up an additional pint and you can hook up Aquiles to combat those speedophobes...:yack

sven

Nice one guys! This new world of FDing is slowly becoming clearer!

Cheers
Porky

Noseplugs?

Go to your local white water kayaking store and ask for some. they're made to stay on in all kinds of abuse and work great. most have a lanyard so you son't loose them.

Willer

willer,

thanks for the response. the nose plugs that i see available are more like clips than actual "plugs".

i'll take a peek in some of the kayak stores, being that i'm in a prime site for them. hopefully, someone has plugs for my snot lockers, instead of the clips.

aloha,
anderson

Andrsn

Andrsn,

Go to www.outdoorplay.com, and on the left of the first page, there's a box where you can search by category. One of the categories is "noseplugs" (you may have to scroll to see it). One of the noseplugs they have is the type where there are two plugs that go up inside your nose like you are looking for. It comes with a lanyard attached, and is approx. 10 dollars US. Hope this helps.
Nick

thanks nick, but...

To: experts@outdoorplay.com
Subject: smiley noseplugs

i have a question about the smiley noseplugs. the pair that you're stocking, are they a clip or actual plugs for the nostrils?

thanks,
anderson york
denver, colorado

response..

Anderson,

They're an adjustable clip. You can learn more about them at:

http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Product3.0.asp?DeptID=159&SKU=PHE_SHNOS

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Happy Paddling,

Paul

i'm still searching, though.

~andrsn
.._[:]p

this may sound real stupid but.......

have you thought about those yellow ear plugs? the expanding foam kind? we used to have a joke with the new guys at work and tell them they were nose plugs, so they'd walk around with yellow foam sticking out there nose...... well it was funny at the time....

just a thought......

Willer

andrsn

Well, I'm sorry, but I think they are wrong. The smiley thing that they are attached to is way too thin to be able to hold a nose shut as a clip, and if you look at how they are attached, they aren't attached to the smiley in such a way as to make it "clip". If it is a clip then it's a real shitty one. I'm sorry, but I still think those plugs go in your nostrils- wouldn't be the first time I've gotten wrong information from a web site email.
Nick

Re: andrsn

Originally posted by freediverdude
I'm sorry, but I still think those plugs go in your nostrils-
Nick

Anderson's sorry they go in the nostrils too... ;)

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT