• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

masks with a beard

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pdice

Mar 12, 2003
I had trouble diving this weekend with my oceanic shadow mask. Water kept leaking in right next to my nose through my mustache. Other than shaving my mustache, does anyone have any suggestions for a mask that works well with a beard and mustache? I've tried silicon grease, but i've still been unable to make a good seal. I don't have a very bushy mustache, i keep it very short. Thanks in advance.

Try this out:

Put a condom over your head and roll it down to your neck (Preferably unused :naughty )

Cut out some eye holes a nose hole and a mouth hole Ala SAS balaclava.

Put your mask over this and Presto.

A watertight seal. rofl

Reactions: DeepThought
I've never had a beard or mustache to try to wear a mask over, but I think that anywhere the skirt is on hair instead of bare skin there is not going to be a seal.

My mask seems to seal better when my stach needs a trim and moistening it seems to help.

A bit of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) massaged into the moustache helps maintain a good seal (although these days I employ the 'good close shave' method).

Just shave about an eighth of an inch below your nose on dive day. Since i started doing this my mask seals perfectly (it used to always leak on the breathe-up). By the end of the day you cannot even tell you shaved that morning.
Jim

I trim it before diving and use either the Sphera or the Freedom masks. Some days its find, other days I get a sinus cleaning with salt water. The Sphera is more reliable in that way, but the Freedom distorts vision less.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT