• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Masks with GoPro mount. None of the big manufacturers make them, why?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SubSub

Aug 26, 2015
I'm puzzled. Nowadays the GoPro is more or less standard diving equipment regardless what kind of diving you're in to; scuba, freedive, spearfishing, snorkeling... we all carry our GoPros!

I've been looking around quite a bit for a mask with a GoPro mount, but the range is limited to say the least.... there are the Octomask and some mask from Mako, but other than that you have to come up with your own dodgy solution, drilling, glueing and what not.

NONE of the big manufacturers like Cressi, Mares, Omer/Sporasub/Aqualung, etc produce masks with a GoPro mount? Why the hell is that? To much stock of the old shit before they want to drop new prouducts? Are they unaware that there is a market demand for this product?

Fill up with your thoughts!

Agree. My thoughts are it adds weight, bulk and may compromise comfort.

I personally prefer the gopro mounted on a gun when spearfishing as it makes for better footage.

snorkeling you could argue that handheld is a good way to capture footage, given the control over its positioning. also they now have those full face snorkling masks that come with gopro mounts.

But for Scuba i could defintley see an advanyage to mounting to your mask give then need to have your hand completley free.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I don't think the mount add bulk worth mentioning, what could it possibly be, a few additional grams to the frame?

The GoPro itself is optional to put on, and I doubt one would buy a mask with the mount unless you actually plan to use it = the added weight is already in the calculation so to say.

It is surprising to say the least that they don't even have ONE mask with the option? I mean, Mares for example have about 40 different masks, but none with a GoPro mount.

I have e-mailed a few of the manufacturer so see what they have to say about it, I'll get back with their replies when I have them.

Reactions: Kyle merrien
Generally, I think the head isn't an ideal place to mount a GoPro, as we have a tendency to move our heads in a jerky fashion.

I don't spearfish, but would use a pole or camera frame (pole gives you range, camera frame is more steady), although think mounting the camera on a gun would probably result in more stable, smooth footage than the head.. Possible less-so with reloading?

Riffe also has two mask with go pro mounts (small seperate kit). Thinking of giving them a try.

Hi! I think it's dangerous to put a GoPro on your head if you intend to dive near sharks as they're attracted to the electromagnetic waves it emits. So, it's way safer to have it on a stick that you can let go if needed.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT