• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Masks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

AZ_Atypical

Jun 13, 2015
I'm curious what masks are the "Go-to" mask for freedivers these days. I remember Sphera was a popular one 10 years ago. Have other masks come along with lower volume? If the information I've read is correct, then my Omer Alien is lower volume than the Sphera?

Tiny masks fit tiny faces. Find what mask will fit your face type and go from there. Low volume isn't everything, comfort and ability to equalize are far more important.

Reactions: DRW and AZ_Atypical
Tiny masks fit tiny faces. Find what mask will fit your face type and go from there. Low volume isn't everything, comfort and ability to equalize are far more important.
Yeah good feedback. That was my focus as I picked a mask this time. Under maximum vacuum, how crappy was it. I pressed the masks against my face to see what the hard parts did. The Omer Alien felt the best for me. I'll be honest, I'm still on the fence with the mirrored lenses though. I understand that it's primarily a spearo mask. I'll probably be switching to a clear lense if nothing else.

Hey hey, great question!

2x years ago I discovered the OMER UP-M1 and never looked back. I’m so happy with it that I bought 3 in case they discontinue it.

Hands free equalization, ultra low volume, super soft skirt and a soft nose pocket that is roomy enough for my not-so-low volume nose.
Four of my friends (spearos all of them) have moved to this mask after trying mine last summer.
I’m not sponsored by OMER by the way, I generally don’t like their gear very much. But this mask kicks ass.

Good luck!

For spearing I use a Technisub aqualung micromask. It was popular a couple of years ago. I used a Omer Alien for several years but went off it, when a lens came out! Fixed it but it fogged up a bit too much, despite cleaning and flaming.

Reactions: AZ_Atypical
Hey hey, great question!

2x years ago I discovered the OMER UP-M1 and never looked back. I’m so happy with it that I bought 3 in case they discontinue it.

Hands free equalization, ultra low volume, super soft skirt and a soft nose pocket that is roomy enough for my not-so-low volume nose.
Four of my friends (spearos all of them) have moved to this mask after trying mine last summer.
I’m not sponsored by OMER by the way, I generally don’t like their gear very much. But this mask kicks ass.

Good luck!
I tried this mask on in store and didn't love it. The odd shape threw me off I think. Maybe I'll give it a second look.

For spearing I use a Technisub aqualung micromask. It was popular a couple of years ago. I used a Omer Alien for several years but went off it, when a lens came out! Fixed it but it fogged up a bit too much, despite cleaning and flaming.
Thanks, I'll check it out. It looks like a mask I'd probably like.

I've used the Cressi Superocchio for about 30years. Tried loads of others but it fits me really well. Has a good low volume profile and is pretty bulletproof. I'm sticking with it till the end! Hahaha

Omer Up-M1 fits well, but whatever I do, I don't seem to be able to de-fog it.
Burned the glass, toothpaste dishwashing liquid, laundry detergent, spit...it just fogs again.
Frustrating, as it was not cheap

I have been finding the the masks with smaller lenses appear to be easier to fog. If you are diving in colder water where there is a greater temperature differential a defog spray is going to be critical and done liberally. I have had great difficulty finding masks that fit well, with having a very high nose bridge, long nose ridge and narrow face. Two masks that have worked relatively well are the Technisub Aqualung Micromask and Mares Viper but still exploring other models.

Hi

+1 with Obelix #10

I must apply several time the saliva with the tongue (*) during the beginning of the training in swim pool …after that it’s OK

(*) especially where the glass touch the skirt of the mask

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT