• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mastering the Dolphin kick.... I sure haven't

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

skarz

Rasta Freediver
Mar 4, 2004
Hi, i was just wondering how to do that stupid dolphin kick!!! Every time i try it i look like a fish on dry land, flopping around like a moron. I see them doing it in the Olympic trials, but i can't figure out how. Are you moving your upper body as well, or just your legs?

Hi skarz,
i know that feeling :eek: , I've been using a mono for a few month now and it sure is a very demanding technique. ("finswimming technique is quite simple and effective once mastered." is cute :D sounds like "if you can do it, it's simple" ;) ) But monos definitely rock.
Unfortunately there is not too much info available on the net. You can have a look on Peter Pedersens 200m WR dive: http://www.danskfridykkerforbund.dk/video/DYF-Pedersen200m.mpg . It gives a good impression on how it should look like. *g*
If you have somebody that can take UW-videos of you, that helps a lot. Getting some training with somebody who actually knows what he or she is doing of course is the best solution (in monofinning, everything is connected - so if you change a little part, it might effect the whole system or something you didn't want to be effected). If you are not the only monofin-using person in your area it might be possible to organize a course. That's what we did (Peter Pedersen does courses). It was phantastic and definitely worth it.
Veronika

Hm, I just downloaded the video and it seems only to show the preparation and the first two strokes :( . I remember it originally showing the whole dive. Is it a download issue with my PC or did they change the video ?

Originally posted by skarz
Are you moving your upper body as well, or just your legs?

Actually, according to P.Pedersen and 100% of all finswimmers its neither of your suggestions.
Try to start the wavemovement through your body already at your neck and finish it at the hips. Never mind the legs - they will take care of themselves.
Most of us (including myself) use way too much legs and end up moving too much and swimming along a "wave line" - the "wave" should be in the body in that way you move less, become more of an arrow and travel less distance.

The swedish finswimmer coach described the technic like this: Straight legs, straight upper body and only bend at the hips. That way you will keep the presure on the fin thru the entire kick and elliminate unnesesery movments. This technic is easy to learn and efficiant especialy if you have a fin with an angle.

/Ulf

Thanks for all the advice. That graphic on the Australian webpage helps a lot.

I'll have to work on my dolphin kick too - as things are now I look more like a caterpillar!

Lucia

Update - today I made an effort to practise the dolphin kick, and I can do it! I was using scuba fins, but the technique seemed to be working.

:friday

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT