• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Maui Dive Operations/Trips?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

heidih88

Feb 26, 2004
My boyfriend and I will be going to Maui in October. I know it's not a real dive destination, but we would like to dive while we are there. Anyone have recommendations for a dive operation to go with? It seems everybody does trips to Lahaina and Molokini - who has the best service, dive masters, food? Which are the best dives to do? What about beach dives?

Oh, yeah, my boyfriend is an experienced diver; I was certified in September 2002 in Monterey, CA (yes, it was freezing - I loved it anyway) but haven't dove since.

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by heidih88
My boyfriend and I will be going to Maui in October. I know it's not a real dive destination, but we would like to dive while we are there.

Not a real dive destination? wow.

Anyway, I suggest Extended Horizons (http://www.extendedhorizons.com/), Eric and his crew have a great reputation. Same reputation is "Mike Severins Diving" (http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/), Pauline is excellent.

I have been out with Eric to dive off the coast of Lanai. Outstanding!!

Pauline is concidered by many to be the best in Maui. I have never dove with her, but my wife has about 100+ dives with her. Kendra, my wife, is to Kona diving what Pauline is to Maui diving.

I hope this helps

Matthew J D'Avella
Kona Hawaii

Thanks, Matthew! From the lack of reponse, I was beginning to think there was no diving on Maui, but maybe it was the wording of my post...

For what it's worth, that was almost a direct quote from the travel section of Undercurrent online, where if you look up Maui it basically says there are much better places to go if you are looking for a dive trip. But that's where we are going, so thanks for the recommendations. I had found both of those places on line but it's nice to have feedback from someone who has actually been there! And if we ever come to Kona I'll know who to contact.

Just an FYI, if you plan to do Molokini, do the back side.
The inside is all torn up from anchors and most of the coral
is dust.

The current on the back side of Molokini absolutely RIPS. Next
stop.....Tahiti.

Aloha

I would have to concur with the opinion on Mike Severn's Diving operation...definately good people. And they are building a new HQ in Kihei right now, so that might be set up by the time you get here.....

Places I can recomend to dive would here would be: the backside of Molokini (a deep wall...really awesome), the west side of the island of Lanai (longer boat ride, but some really amazing pristine conditions), and the Kanaio coastline (again a little bit of a ride, but awesome stuff to see on the desolate south coast of Maui).

Shore dives are OK and fun, but not epic, and since they are shallow (typically 30 ft or less) you can have as much or more fun freediving them (it's cool swimming thorough caves and tunnels without tanks, etc..). Ones that you might want to check into would be: Ahihi Bay (you have to do this one on your own, since no commercial activities are allowed in this marine reserve and natural area) and Makena's 5 Caves/5 Graves.

Aloha

Dan Saunders is one of the old -time Maui freedivers, been at it there since the beginning of time.

Last I heard he was running an operation called Scuba Shack, in Kehei. He's a good place to start for freediving boat trips.

I agree with all the posts and companies that were recommend, especially if you can make it out to Lanai, Extended Horizons or Ed Robinsons offer great dives out there. Ed Robinson's (1-800-635-1273) operate out of Kihei offer trips to Lanai every Wednesday and Extended Horizons (1-888 348-3628) operate out of Lahaina.
Have a great time
Fintan

Try Scuba Shack (scubashack.com). Small fast boat. They go out
from Kihei.

Eddy.

I highly recommend the Pride of Maui for trips to Molokini Crater and Turtle Town on Maui.

Try Scuba Shack (scubashack.com). Small fast boat. They go out
from Kihei.

Eddy.

Scuba Shack used to have a captain named Sanders who is superb, and also a freediver.If he's still there, I'd go with him anytime.

If anyone is intereste din Spearing or actual freediving, I am available as well. I own a 35' Larson Cabrio and take alot of people out who visit. I do not charge/charter and only take people out who have a passion for diving. Of course pitching in for gas never hurts ;).

Sean 'Stody' Stodelle

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT