• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Maybe we should have a blood transfusion with a crocodile!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Wild idea to think about, but our bodies would reject the blood wouldnt it? Are there any vitamins that increase the hemoglobins ability to transport oxygen? That would be a very nice thing. Thanks for getting me thinking.

Ike

To be able to transport more oxigen you need more hemoglobine. EPO is one of the 'vitamins' to increase your hemoglobine count. Not actually a good idea (it can lead to sudden death without warning at all because your blood clogs up in your main vessels because it gets thick due to more red blood cells and therefor less , well, liquid... Bad thing!)
If it was that easy the word would spread at an immense speed and athletes of all sports would do it, you bet!!!
Spend a couple of weeks above 3000m above sea and naturally your blood will have more red cells. It won't last long though, just for the odd record attempt.

Cheers, joe

Thanks Joe, Ive heard of altutude training ad that kind of thing, also knew it increased red bloodcell count, but I didnt know how long the effecs would alst. A few days? weeks? What if I Moved somewehre and lived at that altitude, came down to competitions, would it last an bit longer then?

Ike

Once saw a nature doc. on crocs. - apparently they have "stuff" in there blood that kills super-virus's that you get in hospitals that are immune to most antibiotics.

A guy set off to find a really large (and therefore old - and therefore purer) croc. for blood samples - he walked into a bar in Australia and convinced some locals over a few beers to go out lamping for large crocs at night.... in an aluminium dingy .... yes, you know what's coming. He jabs a croc with a need on the end of a stick, the croc bits through the tin boat and they bail like crazy to get back to shore with the sample - all for science.
Ed

I HEARD SOMETHING ABOUT WHEATGRASS BUILDING UP HEMOGLOBIN IN THE BLOOD. I READ THAT WHEATGRASS IS THE CLOSEST THING TO HUMAN HEMOGLOBIN.

The right kind of apnea training at sea level will increase your hemoglobin more than any altitude training.... evidenced by Sebastien Murat's 63% hematocrit, higher than anything ever found by going to altitude (except by high altitude natives).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT