• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Meandros reverse trigger mech.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

smallfry

Mar 31, 2016
Hi everyone one ,newbie here so hope i posted in the right place

I just took my new meandros reverse trigger mech out for its 1st dive

i had terrible trouble loading my gun,my chests all bruised and was lucky not to take my left nut off with the loading pad trying to hip load.

So i did a little research and i am going to remove the loading pad.

I have a 1m euro gun ,7 mill spear and double 14 mill bands ,

the bands are 55cm long and i had no chance of getting the second notch on my shaft and i think that will still be the case when i remove the loading pad.

Have i cut my bands to short?if i cut them longer how long can i go with out losing to much power.

I did get to pull the trigger on a couple of occasion i missed only having 1 band loaded , the trigger pull was extremely smooth, i am very impressed so far.

Might be technique - study carefully some of the on-line videos (e.g. grab the rubber before the butt is in your chest).

Yes, using longer rubbers makes loading easier (and that's a good thing).

You might try making a supplemental loading pad, to go under the rather flimsey loading pads fitted to most/all spearing wetsuit. The sole on an old flip-flop/sandle (the thicker the better) works well. I used to use one, suspended by a neck look of thin bungee cord and kept in place by an old elastic chest band, intended for hold the triathletes number (e.g. if not wearing a shirt on the final run).

Having only one band loaded may not be the reason you missed.

I usually load on my chest (i will definitely not be trying hip loading again)the loading pad seemed to get in the way of things for myself as i am not used using one.

In the past i have used a old flip flop but i think i would still be unable to pull the band to the second notch ,i will try before i remove the loading pad.

Yes i think you are right MR.X it could have been numerous reason why i missed ,i was still very happy with the way the trigger performed .

BTW Rob Allen sell a supplemental loading pad with harness, which I presume is worn over the wetsuit (unlike the one I suggested making above).
chestpadphoto_1.jpg

I believe some Italian spearos load on their belt buckle but I haven't tried it and, as you mention above, there is a real risk of "fouling your tackle" if things go wrong.

Loading technique is an odd thing, there are numerous variations on how to do it. Part of the trick might be to do the last part of the pull (i.e. the hardest bit) swiftly & smoothly in a burst of controlled muscular contraction (like the "focus" in karate & other martial arts), with muscle tension in the abs, chest & shoulders as well as in your arms.

Rob Allen also offer this "load assist" , you could probably make something similar yourself but I think this is really aimed at the really long spearguns, may 120cm-160cm+:

Reactions: Pinniped72
Smallfry, just wondering how you resolved your loading difficulty problem? Did you find a solution that worked for your in the end?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I usually grab the rubber with one hand and push with my other hand on the handle just enough to belt buckle load to the first tab. Then I chest load the last two tabs. This is with a 120 roller and 14 mill rubber. Theres some real good tutorials on youtube, thats how I learned the techniques to load spearguns. I keep my loading butt and I make position my belt buckle in between the loading butt and handle so theres no chance of the butt slipping of the buckle and hitting the jewels.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT