• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Medical Question, stiff legs during prolonged static

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rik

In to diving medicine
Oct 4, 2002
Hi all,

Since almost the beginning of my static excercises, I have had problems with my legs.

For example, I would do a respectively 2 min static, 2 rest, 3 static, 3 rest, 4 - 5 static. and after the second 4 - 5 static I would get the feeling in my legs if I would have walked a marathon, a sour burning feeling what needs one or two hours to dissolve.

When using warmer water, or a suit, the symptoms are much relieved, however I am quit intrested if some of you would have a hypothesis how this can occur, and what I should do about it.

I don't have problems of these kind at dynamic or in my arms by the way.

Kind Regards,

Rik

Being an experienced runner I know that this is most likely lactic acid buildup, or the main by product of anaerobic energy production in your muscles. You feel like you just ran a marathon because apnea would probably simulate a very long race with a high oxygen dept. Apnea as well as running into your anerobic zone creates lactic acid because your muscles need a way to make energy in low or no oxygen environments. Obviously, people cant keep this up for very long. Having stiff, burning or tired muscles after long apnea will generate lots of lactic acid especially if you dont train your lactate threshold. I found that after going for a static pb, my legs felt more or less like they do after track work. Im guessing that when you have your wet suit on you are warmer than not having your suit on, this is simple. The warmer you body is, the faster it is able to metabolize the products of anaerobic energy prduction. This is true for any reaction. The higher the heat, the quicker the reaction. It also may be because you have got your body temp. into the prime zone for your enzymes to properly remove the lactic acid, making it easy to notice a reduction in these feelings in your legs.

Man, biology really does pay off

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT