• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Metabolism-ism

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sinkweight

fat flotilla
Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Hello all,

In the usual confidence I put in the staff and members here at Deeperblue.net, I shall now regurgitate an inquiry pertaining to the pros and cons of metabolism...

If one is to stay in good physical and cardiovascular condition, one needs a good metabolism.

However, if one is to conserve oxygen and slow consumption and cardio rates during a dive, one would need to have a reduced metabolism, wouldn't they?

I'm over the hump of rich Holiday meals, and thankfully only managed to gain 1/3 of the weight I lost. (diagnosed hypothyroid since age of 6...I fluctuate like friggin' puffer fish). Before I start The Great Weight Shed of 2005, I'd like to have a better idea of how to better keep my metabolism vs. relaxability in check.

Where is the median of too much and too little metabolism?

I'm only guessing that the dive champs rigorously train for a while then lessen the intensity of the workouts and work on breathing and and meditation more so nearing competition, or diving seasons. Would I be right? Are there any good threads or literature that could give me a good "what's what"?

I'm taking two freedive clinics this spring, but I'd like to have some background so that I won't be asking too many questions....

...it's hard to tread water when you have your hand raised the whole time...

...unless you're trying to keep your cocktail dry. :p

Those of you who have the time, a little parental advice here for fatty.

P.S. I got to hand it to Cliff Etzel's (spelling?) past personal training input in his past articles...along with a great liver cleaning diet, not to mention stronger-than-usual will power, his routines helped me lose about 50-60 over late spring and early summer last year...no joke.....and more suprisingly, no crack.

It was simple stuff to do at home or in the office. I don't have enough money for a gym. I'm spending it all in clinics this year, heh-heh.

Last edited:
You're correct, most experts train hard, then taper training close to competition to allow metabolism to slow down.

However, I have found that a apnea-training such as apnea walking or apnea-hiking, does not negatively affect metabolism, and can be carried on right up to a competition, as long as sufficient recovery is allowed for (i.e. sleep, antioxidants, etc.)

As an example, I had never ever done a static pb the day of (or the day after) a cardio workout. In fact, a rest of 3 days was the minimum I needed.

But, in May 2004, I managed an 8+ minute static pb the day after a 40-minute apnea hiking session.

Note that extreme hypo-metabolism, induced by calorie reduction & goitrogenic foods (raw cruciferous veggies etc.) can adversely affect cold tolerance, which means you have difficulty diving with no-suit or a thin suit.

Reactions: sinkweight
Thanks for the input, Eric. It's always nice to hear from you.

I'm naturally a really warm-natured guy, which goes against mone of the main problems of hypothyroid-ers (I think we've had this converstation last year in regards to someone's shivering problems). I got that going for me.

Nice job on the 8:00 plus pb.

On a side note, and don't feel the need to hurry an answer, what are some good forms of yoga (breathing-wise) that I might dip my toes into...and what do you think about those power-lung doo-hickeys?

I got terribly out of shape during this winter. I was thinking of taking a breathing yoga class (if available in dallas...it is pretty metro here, ya know) and using a power-lung while I ride my bike.

Any muscle groups I should concentrate on developing to fully prepare for a productive Dive clinic this spring?

ok, ok..that's my last question....for now.

Has anyone seen a "What your metabolism should be" chart on line, or based on anyone's experiences at clinics, gyms, etc? Please put up the link, as it would be interesting to compare what it is in actuality to what it says it should be on the chart.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT