• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Methods of valsalva

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

matejo

Aug 18, 2002
Hi!

A nice hello to everyone first, as you can see, I'm new here. I'm in freediving for about 2-3 years now anf have many questions (most of the answers I have already found on this site). :D

Actually, I have a question what do you think about the equalising on the way down .

When I started with freediving, I was tolt to equalise once every 3-5 m with short (hard) increase of pressure but when I practise, I feel much more comfort to equalise with longer (softer, more monotonus) inflation (for example from 0-7 m and then form 7-12 with constant pressure).

What are your thoughts about this and how is that in practise?

Matt

equalizing

Matt- I would not use hard bursts to equalize. The more you practice equalization, the more supple and pliable the E tubes become. Just gently inflate the nostrils and the tubes will open. Do this anytime you feel the pressure as you descend. Everyone's ears are different, therefore no two people will always equalize at the exact same depths. The most important thing is to be comfortable and enjoy every part of the dive.

Variants of valsalva...

OK, I knew this would be hard to xplain :) I'm just curious about difference between
a) one single and short (as I described "hard") burst and
b) more monotonus, constant, "longer" pressure.

I have to say that I have no problems clearing my ears and just want to know what is used in practice more. (your thoughts as I wrote...)

10x,
Matt

I prefer softer more frequent equalising. The downside is you almost constantly have to pich your nose. I'm thinking about making a pipemask or (if i can spare the money) buying fluid goggles. This, with a good noseclip should do it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT