• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mexican Regulations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

unirdna

tropical wuss
Sep 16, 2002
Hey guys,

My sweetie and I are going to spend a week in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico later this month. I'd very much like to bring my gun/gear with me and spend some time hunting. The place where we are staying has a kitchen, so I'd be all set for cookin. Being a land-locked freshwater boy, I have no idea what to expect. Maybe some of you could help me remove some of the mystery ;).

Have any of y'all done any huntin' here?

What are the regulations?

Are airlines tolerant of spearguns (of course it would not be a carry-on :duh)?

What kind of fish can I expect there?

Which species are the tastiest?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks for any/all comments suggestions.
Ted

Gee ....Uni, that sounds so romantic....:p I wish I am single again...:D Not that I can't do it with my current status.... wha ha ha ha

Shouldn't u also ask :

01. Is that water bed still there at that hotel ?
02. Is the bathroom open air type with sky view, Ok Ok, you don't need the accidental dropping the soap routine, I know....

he he he he...enjoy ur holiday Ted.

Reactions: unirdna
fish hunting in Mexico

I took my speargun to Cancun by plane, and didn't have any problems. As far as I can tell, its not on the list of prohibited items on the plane. You must check it of coarse, but I don't think you have to specially label it or register it. Just like any other checed bag.

Customs didn't give me any problem either. I told them I had a speargun and they didn't care.

You might need a fishing licence.

When you get there go to a dive shop and ask.

You may also want to try contacting SEMARNAP: "Secretaria de Medio Ambiente, Recursos Naturales y Pesca" (of Mexico). At least for Baja California they require a boat permit fee and a fishing licence. Although that may apply only if you are fishing from a boat.

BT, thanks for sharing your experience. Was your trip to Cancun pre or post 9/11/2001? Unfortunately, I think this is a relevant question :(.

Iya...Iya...Iya... Nice to see you in your usual form :D.

I fly internationally with my guns 4 times a year (post 911) and have never had a problem with them, put them with the rest of your kit, in your checked lugage and forget about it. No worries.

Willer

Reactions: unirdna
Originally posted by unirdna
Hey guys,

What kind of fish can I expect there?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks for any/all comments suggestions.
Ted

Fish? no idea, but I can tell you alot about the local tail.... :girlie

Other Recommendations? Corona.... LOTS. :friday

Willer :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT